• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

FS 1993 STTNG off the market

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
They're a must - how can any game be fun if you're constantly draining down the outlane?
Sorry I missed this (gotta learn to "subscribe" to threads).

I'm kind of hesitating installing mine. One of the beauties that keeps this game interesting for me IS that it is just that darn hard. Part of the "skill" in learning a particular machine is HOW to ball handle to avoid those kinds of pitfalls.

Admittedly I "have" the extended lanes but haven't installed them yet. What I might tweak first is the timing of some of the modes that just end way too quickly.

Now the Colour DMD is something I "really" want, but at this point that's a lot of money for me to lay out for something my kids can't wear or eat. (Teenagers!)

TwilightZone

Nov 25, 2012
Ottawa, ON
I had the outlanes installed on mine, removed them years ago, and sold them. I think it made the game too easy. I think it's better as is.

Truth be told, I hated the game back in the arcade days and wouldn't play it. I felt it was too hard and hated the cheap drains. At home, though, I'm more forgiving and prefer it the way it was released.

Hammerhead

Nov 16, 2012
Melbourne
Even Steve Ritchie has admitted the outlanes may be a bit too drain happy.

Worst part is the cannon is right in the way so when you can't see the outlane, it's harder to nudge the ball to safety until its too late. I hate AC/DC for this reason also.

flashinstinct

Nov 14, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario

Worst part is the cannon is right in the way so when you can't see the outlane, it's harder to nudge the ball to safety until its too late. I hate AC/DC for this reason also.

I'll take an ACDC, cannon blocking the outlane or not. Yet they can't be found.

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON

My dilemma has to do with permanence in a local collection. If playing it occasionally or by the uninitiated, the drain lane would be frustrating. However if you want a challenging game for a long term collection, then figuring out how to get long ball times and avoid the drains is all part of "training" yourself to play the game effectively. Using the cheater outlane guides may be "too much" of a good thing and end the challenge too soon. Or the other way to look at it might be to install it at first, but then switch it out once the game gets too easy. Similar to dialling in the games Adjustments.

Regardless, STTNG is a good game and a star in any collection if you have ANY affinity to the TV Series (or the Trek Universe) at all.