• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

2013 GTA Pinball Expo!

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
... ok, so I don't know where or when yet, but I'd like to spearhead this. Let's make it happen! Anyone who thinks they may have some services they could provide, feel free to step forward. :)

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Canadian Pinball Championship is looking for a venue, depending on the when we could combine it as part of the event.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
Vengeance said:
Canadian Pinball Championship is looking for a venue, depending on the when we could combine it as part of the event.

Sounds like a good plan. The venue needs to be smaller than last time.. unfortunately that venue was too big to sustain itself. I'm thinking hotel conference area this time 'round.

I've got an email out to Kevin at Skit-B, I think it'd be cool if they brought their Predator game up for a demonstration :mrgreen:

- B

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
REVOLUTION said:
Vengeance said:

Sounds like a good plan. The venue needs to be smaller than last time.. unfortunately that venue was too big to sustain itself. I'm thinking hotel conference area this time 'round.

I've got an email out to Kevin at Skit-B, I think it'd be cool if they brought their Predator game up for a demonstration :mrgreen:

- B

I think it might be better to look at a college location or something like that .. may help keep rent costs down

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
College location is a great idea, it was worked wonders for MPE and gives you instant access to a huge audience that you might not otherwise be able to tap into.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I'd love to see something like this happen-let me know what I can do to help! Not sure where else to look, but if you're looking in the summer, you're definitely going to run into problems with conflicts on things like weddings. Could look at some of the larger community centers or arenas? Downtown is probably also expensive, but west end of Toronto/Mississauga/brampton has the advantage of being closer to the airport if people want in from out of town.

Talk to Nick-I was talking to him about this last time we were at his place, and he's interested in the idea and probably has some great insights on locations.

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Menace said:
And transit issues would be resolved as well if a location such as a college was obtained. Excellent idea...

D

I'd say Humber,Senca and Sherdian (Maybe throw York into the mix although I don't know anything about their campus) in that order would be the best locations ... lots of parking .. as Menace mentioned transit to location already in place ... Humber has all the airport hotels in fairly close proximity.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
This is an exciting prospect. Too long in coming for TO.
Its been years since I was at Humber but don't recall too many large open spaces... things may have changed since then. Location is definitley good.

Sign me up

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
DRANO said:
This is an exciting prospect. Too long in coming for TO.
Its been years since I was at Humber but don't recall too many large open spaces... things may have changed since then. Location is definitley good.

Sign me up

Same here .. sights would have to be re-visited but gyms are good plus I believe there is a student union area that type of thing ... MPE uses a student building as Adam noted.

Slam_Tilt

Nov 20, 2012
Brampton
I work at York so I know they have lots of spaces for this kind of thing. I'll try to find out who you should contact to inquire.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
Slam_Tilt said:
I work at York so I know they have lots of spaces for this kind of thing. I'll try to find out who you should contact to inquire.

That's great Brent!

After discussing with Adam, it looks like we're aiming for September, before the summer break is over.

- B

Slam_Tilt

Nov 20, 2012
Brampton
If you want to have this at a campus it should be before school starts. After school starts it may be an issue finding space but during the summer shouldn't be a problem. So I would say sometime before Sept 7th would be best. Not saying they wouldn't be able to accommodate after school starts but I think a better chance before.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
You can also check some local community centers as well because this year I rented a pretty big party room for my daughters birthday for $40 per hour which included tables and chairs. The room was about the size of a gymnasium otherwise and located right by Keele and Sheppard so easy access from TTC (not far from Downsview), close to airport and 401 is only 5 minutes away. Probably does not matter when you do it as long as you book the block of time ahead of time.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Start modest, set modest goals and make it happen :).

Brock, I think I told you a bit about my event promotion background... the biggest key to success is map everything on paper. start with an excel spreadsheet. make the numbers work for you on paper first. It's important that this be a financially successful venture because it doesn't help anyone that you or anyone else lose their shirt and don't continue with it.

I also wanted to add that electrical needs can be handled by a rental generator. Often these venues don't have the juice to run so many machines, but you can bring something in (think something sitting in the parking lot outdoors, with power being run into the venue).

With the power issue solved, that opens up just about anything that has the space.

You could shoot for a late spring/early June date if you found a space in the next couple of weeks.

I'm not sure how much hands-on I can help with, but with my past background I'm happy to help with any advice you might need.

Chris

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
+1

Brock, Great advice from Chris. I know Chris by reputation in our industry (entertainment + production) world, althought we may have bumped into each other a couple of times personally as well I believe.

In our business world, "make it a show!", "make it work for your crowd!" BUT "make it work for you too!" (whatever you do)

So, we can then all attend year after year as consumers.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Yes, power will likely be a problem. I wonder how the other shows manage to pull it off-how many machines can you reliably attach to a circuit? Generators are an interesting idea though. Also have to find a place that will have good access for setup/teardown and some way to lock up at night and control access (unless you want to run Saturday morning->sunday afternoon and stay open all night-that could be both fun and dangerous with the 2:30 AM crowd (especially if you're on a campus somewhere :))

What were you thinking for the show besides the tournament and free play? Vendors? It sounds like shows like the midwest gaming classic do really well by mixing video games/console stuff and pinball, getting dealers out for both and then some cross-pollenation.

No matter what though, trying to do it while it's still warm out will make things a LOT easier to manage moving machines in and out.