• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Anybody know how to get rid of the musty smell out of an old machine ?

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
Ya Pinball Life actually bottles that smell and sells it as a cologne to pinfolk. It's a huge seller!

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Surprised you have such a strong sense of smell... anyways I heard this trick of using fresh coffee grounds inside your cab can help remove odours.

Reactions: quarter grabber

eh97ac

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga
Bowl of white vinegar in the cab overnight. You can also spay vinegar directly on the wood and wipe off immediately.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
won't you get coffee smell then ?

I haven't personally tried this method myself but I have read it on forums before. I think my brother inlaw mentioned it to me before too who likes to fish and you know how that can stink up your vehicle too. My guess would be your pin would smell like coffee for a day or two and then go away where as this musty smell will not. The good news is worse case if it doesn't work it is relatively inexpensive just like Grant's suggestion of white vinegar above. If not you could also try charcoal? I know some people keep a can of that in their kitchen to absorb food odours from cooking.

SuperPinball

Feb 3, 2015
Richmond Hill
41DiF3hdXOL.jpg

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Long story warning:

I was very excited years ago when driving to pick up my HUO LOTR. When we got there the owner turned out to be a huge cigar smoker. Now, I love me a good cigar but this guy smoked a LOT and in his game room.

Now, I'm with Menace, opening up the coin door to an EM and being greeted with the scent of musty smoke filled bars from years gone by is almost enough to make me wanna touch myself... but this wasn't that at all!

What seemed okay en route in the car quickly became a massive issue at home. The whole basement soon reeked of fesh, heavy cigar smoke. My wife was not impressed, but the game was MINT and I wasn't ready to give up.

It took a few weeks but I found that diluted Simple Green wiped on the cab helped to wipe away a filthy layer of soot. It took a few passes before the paper towels came off white. The downside is that the moisture seemed to also reactivate the scent and it was a lot worse at first. You also have to be very careful not to strip the art or colours depending on the cabinet.

Lastly, I sprayed an odour neutralizer into the cab from the coin door and placed 3 odour sponges inside.

3-4 weeks later the game seemed to at least be no worse than my other games... but it was a process for sure.

Seven

Oct 6, 2015
Prince Edward Island
www.pinballorama.com
I bought a Road Kings that needed work and had been sitting in a garage for who knows how long. I got home late and decided to leave it in the car overnight and unload it in the morning.

The next day, by the time I got around to unloading it, it had become quite warm out. When I opened the car I was hit by a smell somewhere between old grandma and pina colada.

After I got the machine inside I cracked it open and found one of those tree shaped car air freshener thingy - pina colada scented.

So if you want your machine to smell like a drunk old lady, I can verify this method works.

Reactions: Menace