• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Bally / Midway 6803 Display Issue

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
The display on my Strange Science alternates between a powerful clear image, and the flickering seen below.

In the image you can see all the characters are displayed, but several are extremely weak.

If the displays are switching between this flickering and 100% image, what is the likely culprit?
I have a NOS set of 6803 displays, but I don't want to waste them before I figure out if this is a power or a display issue.

Any help greatly appreciated !

photo (1).JPG

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
With the power off, have you tried unseating and reseating the cable from MPU to the display ?
Just to see if this is a bad pin(s) issue...

Cheers,
- Sylvain.

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
Thanks Sylvain, I have tried that several times.

I just had the machine on for a while, and after 10-15 minutes, the displays "warmed up" and were working 100%.
They continued to work 100% until I shut off the game.

Any insights?

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Did you measure the high voltage to the displays when the issue is present, and after 15 minutes ?
Unsure if it is a display, blanking or high voltage issue at this time...

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
If the HV at the displays is the same when you first power the game on and the displays are having an issue to when it's all warmed up and the displays are good that to me would confirm your displays have started to outgass.

I had a similar issue with one of my FH displays and replacing the glass was the only solution.

D

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
I just fired up the machine this morning and the displays came right on 100%.
Measured voltage on both of the display boards:

160 at TP2 - Right Display Board
154 at TP2 - Left Display Board

54 at TP1 - Right Display Board
51 at TP1 - Left Display Board

Seems normal ?