• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Best way to replicate clear plastic?

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
So I have a broken plastic on one of my games that I was going to try and replicate. The plastic is a clear one so it should be a matter of just simply cutting a new one to size. My question is what is going to be the best way to go about this? In the past when I've needed to cut plexi I've always just used my router and a flush trim bit to match it up with things like control panels for vids etc. Something tells me that won't work to well in this case due how thin the original is so I'm searching for other ideas.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I prefer the CNC myself :D

Dremel will work well. Sand the edges smooth and then flame polish them with a small torch. I like the cheap butane BBQ lighters for this.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
The dremel sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the tip guys. I have a small butane torch as well so maybe I'll give this a try tonight.

Sent from my Nexus 4

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
I had the maintenance guys at work cut me a new clear piece for my Atlantis for the drop target bank. I only had to countersink the holes due to the thickness. free is free after all.
The maintenance department calls this 'government work'....

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
If you don't have a dremmel, and a router is the only option. Then I'd make a templates of the original plastic outta thicker material like good 3/8" plywood, and then use the flush trim bit like you said. Sand edges, polish and your done.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
brad808 said:
I have a small butane torch as well so maybe I'll give this a try tonight.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Just a few seconds and keep the torch moving or you'll bubble the plastic. Practice on some scrap first.
Flaming will give it a nice clean glossy factory edge.

I made these custom WH2O inlane plastics a while back... but I did have the blanks cut on our CNC first.

Attachments

• IMG_0844.JPG
    IMG_0844.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 127
  • Left plastic slugs.jpg
    Left plastic slugs.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 127

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Ha!
I ran out pretty quick. I may revisit the mod again one day.
Just have too much on the go and don't feel like using up another CNC favour just yet :D

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Thanks again guys. The dremel worked out well.
NLvi4nhl.jpg

Looks much better than the old beat up yellow one.
Gqu7q50l.jpg