• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Black Rose Davey Jones Ramp not seating on playfield

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
Quick question for other Black Rose owner/fixers. I'm paying some long overdue attention to my Black Rose and noticed that when I set it up again, everything was fine. But after a dozen plays, the Davey Jones Locker pop-up ramp suddenly will no longer come cleanly down to meet the playfield (it rubs against the side to the ramp wall). That prevents the ball from being shot from the plunger lane and cleanly making it up the Davy Jones Locker ramp. It was working fine and flat for a while, and now it's binding.

When checking it, nothing was loose, but I took off the sidewall that was binding and can not see an obvious way to make it come down clearing the sidewall (on the side closeset to the middle of the playfield). Has anyone encountered this before and is there an obvious adjustment or bent part that I am not seeing?

39013518640_d8f1fb9ac4_h.jpg
40781575172_2691000b98_h.jpg

I've never had a part binding like this where I can't easily determine which part has bent out of shape. I've tried some minor twisting of the ramp but that doesn't seem to work to clear the bind AND keep the ramp flap flat to the playfield.

Thanks!

Fleetwood mIkea

Sep 13, 2017
Milton
I’m not familiar with this particular machine (but would love to get one!) but I suspect the issue is at the attachment/hinge side of things, not the end that engages the playfield. If the assembly was partially or totally dismantled then chances are the pivot point was thrown off, and is now loose, which would cause the issue you described.

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
Sorry I should have filled in the conclusion. I got some hints from Pinside and after trying a couple things figured it out. Essentially it's a much used feature and everything eventually gets bashed out of place in micro increments. I ended up bending the pivot pin that holds the ramp at the top, twisting the ramp ever so slightly and adjusting the position of the ramp side rail so it sits behind the bumper a touch more. I had also straightened out the VUK solenoid frame underneath the playfield thinking it too was bashed out of place, but in the end had to bend it a bit back as a prior operator had figured out that if you give the plunger a little more travel, then the ramp locks up more solidly.

So now it works perfectly, shots up the ramp can be made from the shooter lane easily and with some aim when the ramp is up.

It IS a fun game, best as a two player game I think as it's not all that deep or overly challenging , but if you like hammering ramps repeatedly like I do (I'm a big Ritchie fan) then it is Da Bomb! It's also go great game flow, great music cues and the theme is especially well done.

Too bad I can't afford a Colour DMD for it, they just came out with it. I do have an animatronic parrot that I started to program to be perched to the side of the backbox to listen to the player and squawk back pirate sayings at you while it turns its head and shakes it's feathers. Still have some kinks to work out there because of all the extraneous noise going on. This particular machine is destined for a speaker upgrade and crossover soon too (the cabinet speaker was completely shot - they played it pretty loud in arcades.

Fleetwood mIkea

Sep 13, 2017
Milton
A parrot mod- cool!
I love the look of the pin and it sounds like the play suits my style. Damn- now I need one! I’m currently upgrading the sound in my TAF as well- should be done soon. Just replacing the backbox speakers made a difference. Can’t wait to hear the 8” sub once I get it installed. Also considering the DMD extender for TZ- it will look great in black and white anyway, but want colour for the others.
Glad you got yours working in any event. Feel free to drop it off at my place anytime!

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
We're not that far apart.

I peaked about 10 years ago at 16 pins when I could buy pins like this for around $1000 (when I started I think TAF was $3k ish and that was too much! but more power to the guys that got them). Unfortunately I've sold off some of the ones I really loved at the time (for no profit) thinking I could easily get them back someday. Someday, unfortunately is not meant to happen. At some point I'll liquidate and re-join TOPL or BAMO. However the pin that I will be buried in is likely going to be my STTNG (and it's my second, bought the first for $1700). lol

There was a time when I was going to buy my first NIB pin, a TRON pro. But I hesitated and got left behind. Haven't seen any of those being dumped on the market cheap yet. lol!