• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

BSD play field wear

Feb 25, 2016
Grimsby
How do I handle a spot of play field wear that isn't to bad yet but want to stop it from getting worse. It looks like it was touched up already but it wasn't done that great and it is chipping again.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2016
Grimsby
I will post a picture when I get home tonight. Its right around the multiball lights just above the flippers. Its not bad at all and really isn't even noticeable unless your looking for it. I just don't want it to get worse. I also have a bubble forming on one of the inserts that I'm not sure how to fix. Pics will be coming for both spots.

Shock_me

Nov 16, 2012
Bathurst, N.B.
The ball drop off the plunge is a classic wear point as well. Right on the blood spatter artwork. It's a great spot for a piece of mylar.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
You can try this. It's a half-measure at best, but it will help if you do it right.

Use some masking/painter's tape to cover up the areas on either side of that chipped portion. Then fill with krazy glue gel and allow to harden overnight. Then block sand it with a tiny wooden block. You can glue a bit of 240-400 grit to a small 2" block of wood for this. Make sure everything around is taped off so you don't damage any art around the damaged area.

Repeat this step for any areas on the playfield that are easily contained. What I mean by this is areas that have outlines/borders.

Once all the bad areas are filled and level, take some Molotow paint pens (red and black mostly, I assume) and touch up the red and black outlines.This should deal with 95% of your problem area. If you do not have a steady hand, use tape again to help get straight lines. Just beware because painters tape may not provide a perfect blocker. Maybe scotch tape for this part? You will have to experiment. Once you apply the pen, just peel up the tape and see. If it's bad, wipe with a moist rag (water or even alcohol).

The paint pens are not going to provide bulletproof art so you will have to protect your repair. You can simply use Mylar cut to the shape of the inserts but slightly oversized. You can also try applying a little bit of "Tough as Nails" which is essentially clear nail polish to help seal those areas (again, this can be done freehand or with masking), or you can attempt to perform a spot clearcoat of the repair if you are really happy with it.

For a spot clear I would use some frisket over the whole area and trim out an opening fro the clear that tries to follow the artwork outlines. This will make it less noticeable. You can also just protect the surrounding playfield and shoot some spray freehand. In either case you will likely want to buff the hell out of the clear to blend it into the rest of the playfield.

I guess it all comes down to how much the damage bothers you and how comfortable you are attempting these types of repairs.
With patience you can get some good results.

Good luck!

Feb 25, 2016
Grimsby
I think I will try and fix it once the summer comes and I can take it outside to spray. Thanks for the advice. I will post pictures once I start on the repair.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
UV activated clear coat pen is an option as well. Simoniz brand is the one I've seen around. You'll want the one that requires a UV light to cure it (as opposed to regular sunlight), and you will need to have a blacklight with which to cure it.