• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Building a Dream

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
This is a thread I've been wanting to start for the last 2 years.

I'm sure anyone that has met me has heard my story of wanting to build a building on my property and filling it with nothing but pinball machines.

Well I'm happy to say that the dream starts today :mrgreen:

We just got done with our meeting with our financial adviser, the plan was originally to wait till the Mortgage renewed and then tack the building onto the Mortgage but our adviser said that it would make more sense to do it today then it would to wait the 3 years.

As a result we got a lower interest rate on the mortgage and the money necessary to build my personal Pinball Paradise.

I plan to use this thread to document the journey from start to finish.

Right now I'm still just smiling ear to ear as I didn't think my dream would be coming to fruition so soon, so I don't have any other real details other then I'm starting.

I look forward to the day this thread is finished and will hopefully open the doors on the must visit location for pinball in Canada!

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Should be amazing-looking forward to seeing the final result. Any updates on the plans for what you want to build? Still planning on contracting the entire thing out, or will some of it be DIY?

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Thanks everyone, this should be a very fun project, I've been thinking about it for so long it's hard to believe it is actually going to happen.

Next steps for me are:

Sit down with my contractor and figure out a plan.

I have a small stream in the back acre on my property that feeds into Lake Simcoe, so I know I have some restrictions on what I can build and where as I'm on a flood plain.

so I think first steps are getting an environmental survey done to see exactly where I can and can't build, then from there I need to figure out town restrictions. One thing that is going to dictate what kind of building I build is if there is a height restriction in the area.

I'm trying to think about this long term as in the next 40 years.

I'd like to have at least 1500 sq feet, but maybe as much as 2000 sq feet, but I don't know that will be enough when you think about over 3 decades of collecting.

I know there are restrictions on how far back I can go with the building as a result of the flood plain, But if there are no height restrictions, I can always go up.

So if I can go up I'll have a regular studs and siding building built, but if there is a height restriction, then it will be something prefab, as long and wide as possible.

These are the next steps really which I figure will take a month or so to sort out. My plan hopefully is to get all the bureaucracy out of the way during the winter and then hopefully break ground in the spring

Also yes Dan, once I break ground I'm will have the conversation with Josh about the first ever World Championship to take place in Canada, and then I'm also planning for this to be the new home of the annual Canadian Pinball Championship.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
A friend of mine has been saving this flyer to show me and said this is what I need in my backyard for my addiction :)

http://futuresteel.com

He was also telling me how much money you can make if you have one of these building to store boats, motorcycles, skidoos, snowmobiles, etc... He said the cheapest commercial store place he found for his boat was like $150/month and the person said if you think this is expensive try the marina! Anyways, he found a person who charged a flat rate for the season in a barn.

Reactions: a.stebel

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Yea I don't plan to have any room left over to store boats :p

I will be happy to store other people's pinballs :)

But yes that is one of the companies I'll be looking at, Wbradley over on MAACA is a dealer in prefab buildings so I plan to talk to him as well.

mwong168 said:
A friend of mine has been saving this flyer to show me and said this is what I need in my backyard for my addiction :)

http://futuresteel.com

He was also telling me how much money you can make if you have one of these building to store boats, motorcycles, skidoos, snowmobiles, etc... He said the cheapest commercial store place he found for his boat was like $150/month and the person said if you think this is expensive try the marina! Anyways, he found a person who charged a flat rate for the season in a barn.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Very cool!
With the church of the silver ball falling on hard times, having another massive collection in Southern Ontario is welcome news.

Congrats Adam!

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Vengeance said:
I will be happy to store other people's pinballs :)

I can see Adriano taking you up on that offer till his plans fall in place to get into a bigger house. The next thing would be how to explain to the wife how your collection tripled over night once you move into the new house :twisted: