• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Calculating resistor value? Cointaker led's

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
For my MiniPinball cabinet I want to put 5 cointaker superbright LEDs in the backbox and run them off of 3 AA batteries. Like this

What's the right way of doing this? I'm not an electrical expert, but I can solder a thing or two. Would I be good with a 220ohm resister, or do I even need one since the 3 batteries are 4.5V together.

Or should I get a 4 battery pack and put in a bigger resistor?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 124

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
If you will be using Cointaker LEDs for pinball 6.3V bulbs applications, then it is simple and you do not need to
worry about a series dropping resistor, as each LED assembly already has its own internal series resistor built-in.

Simply provide a 4 x 1.5V battery holder for a total of 6V supply, and wire it, perhaps with a series on/off switch,
directly to all Cointaker LEDs connected in parallel.
(Those Cointaker LEDs *might* still work, albeit a lot more dim, with a 3 x 1.5V battery holder pack, I do not know).

- Sylvain.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
Thanks. They do work with 3 x 1.5V battery holder, and they do seem dim. I thought they were 5V, not 6.3V, so that explanes it.

I do have them in parallel, and plan to put in a switch.

Thanks. I might be able to get this working today.