• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Centaur - EOS not cutting High power

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
So finally finished putting my Centaur together and now I'm working out the little bugs.

Biggest issue right now is my right flipper EOS is not cutting the high power when the flipper is held up.

It's not a physical issue, I know that when the flipper is up that the EOS is opening as it should but for some reason it's not cutting the high power. Checked the wiring and the wires are going where they are supposed to. The switch is still almost brand new, so I don't think it's the actual switch (I guess it could be).

The only other thing I'm thinking it could be is a short in the actual coil

Any other thoughts?

g-man

Nov 19, 2012
Brampton / Caledon
I don't see how it would be anything but the coil itself. When that switch breaks contact, the extra resistance should be lowering that voltage. Only thing I can think of is that the coil is indeed shorted. Why not throw another in and check it out. You must have a bunch around, no ?

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Coils usually do not short internally unless overheated or burned.
Are you sure the wiring is correct to the lugs ?

Are there two diodes on these flipper coils ?
If so, check and replace the diode across the weak coil.
That diode might be shorted - might occur after heating the lugs for too long.

Please let us know your findings.

Good luck !
- Sylvain.

g-man

Nov 19, 2012
Brampton / Caledon
You already replaced the diodes, did you not ? If not, then yeah, try that first.

I agree with Sylvain ( usually a safe bet ) that shorting within the coil is rare, but there are really only 2 or 3 things it can be.

I believe another option is that the coil winding for the low voltage coil may have become unattached / broken from the lug. This would lead the coil to remain at high voltage too, would it not ?

g-man

Nov 19, 2012
Brampton / Caledon
Adam, you're killing me ! I thought you had already replaced the diodes, or was that on a different coil ?

Anyway, good fix. Now play the sh&% out of that new playfield !