• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Converting pinball voltage from European to North American

Bish

Nov 14, 2012
Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
To convert voltage to 120 in WPC and WPC-95 machines, find the RF Filter box (usually on the right side of the machine inside the coin door. This box houses the RF Line Filer and the power switch.

On WPC machines, you will see a molex connector coming from the transformer, which is just behind the RF Filter box:

BBF399AA-2384-4F36-A31C-B9BBE1021C9B-5239-00000512F95BFA53.jpg

On WPC-95 machines, you will see a molex connector with some jumper wires plugged into it on the RF Line Filter box.

In either case, make your jumper look like this:

WPCvoltage_convert_zps8aff19d6.jpg

You don't need to replace the transformer or power supply to make your import game work here.

This may be useful for anyone who is getting a game from Gerrard.

Ancient Games

Nov 15, 2012
Kawartha Lakes, ON
Re: Converting pinball voltage from European to North Americ

Awsome Bish.

Its also good to mention that when you have time you should install the proper varistor for 120v. Imports that have a higher voltage (210/220/230),have a different varistor. Its designed to protect the machine in power surges and is located inside the metal power box inside and to the right of the coin door. I haven't done it on mine yet but will order some the next time i make a parts order. I'm not sure if it helps but for the time being I have them on a power bar that protects against surges and when I'm done I switch it off.

Its not critical but a good idea I think. Oh, and make sure you put in the correct fuses.

Mike

Hammerhead

Nov 16, 2012
Melbourne

Found this for pin2000 - no pin2000 section so I'll post it here

Hammerhead

Nov 16, 2012
Melbourne

Gerry said:
Hammerhead said:
Is this discussion the same thing? Molex connector looks different:

http://www.maaca.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9757

no, it's for wpc 95
OK, before I blow up my RS, what is the correct jumper wire configuration for a WPC-S game? I only have 12-pin molex connectors on my game, not 9-pin. Found this image specific to a RS website:

yellowmustard

Nov 17, 2012

what about voltage conversion for a Stern with a whitestar board system?
i didn t find anything about that on the web...
thanks

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga

Luckydogg420 said:
Will this be close to the same for a gottlieb game? I have one coming on the next container

I'm no expert, but it will depend on what game you're getting (what generation of Gottlieb).

From what I've heard, some Gottliebs actually shipped with different jumpers that could be used for different voltages... and you'd be able to simply swap them. Chances are your goodie bag is long gone though and you'd have to make your own. I can't find anything online and Clay's old guide seems to be locked down.

In some cases, it sound slike you may have to chaneg the entire transformer... which sounds like a pain. Maybe someone with more knowledge on this can confirm?
You could also go with an autotransformer that will step the voltgae up or down as necessary.

Hope this helps a little.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora

Luckydogg420 said:
Will this be close to the same for a gottlieb game? I have one coming on the next container

Let us know what game you snagged, and hopefully we can confirm what route you'll need to take.

D

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com

yellowmustard said:
what about voltage conversion for a Stern with a whitestar board system?
i didn t find anything about that on the web...
thanks

I need to know this as well. AFAIK it's just a matter of changing the plug and the line fuse, but I want to be 100% sure.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora

http://www.sternpinball.com/downloads/WPT_SGM/WPT_SEC5_CHP3.pdf

This should work for all newer Stern games. Just make sure your transformer plug is wired for the "N.America Line Voltage" and you're good to go. (pin2 is jumpered to pin3 and pin8 is jumpered to pin9) Dont forget to change the line fuse to 8A SB! Oh and technically you should also change the varistor in the power box to 130V and check to see if it has a service outlet, and if so that the hot side of the plug is using the black wire and not the brown.

Simple. :)

D

yellowmustard

Nov 17, 2012

Menace said:
http://www.sternpinball.com/downloads/WPT_SGM/WPT_SEC5_CHP3.pdf

This should work for all newer Stern games. Just make sure your transformer plug is wired for the "N.America Line Voltage" and you're good to go. (pin2 is jumpered to pin3 and pin8 is jumpered to pin9) Dont forget to change the line fuse to 8A SB! Oh and technically you should also change the varistor in the power box to 130V and check to see if it has a service outlet, and if so that the hot side of the plug is using the black wire and not the brown.

Simple. :)

D

thanks, works fine for me

tkaye

Mar 17, 2013
Ancaster, On

Note to self...

Save this post for my incoming first container pin... :D

Bay78

Dec 10, 2012

Does anyone have or know where to find the molex part # for those connectors? I'd like to have a few for stock? I would like the part # for WPC/WPC95, pin2000 any others necessary.