• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Corvette ejecting 2 balls in lane

hippochrome

Nov 19, 2012
Ottawa
Hi folks,

I've got a Bally Corvette and a quick question about it.

When I lock ball the first ball in the LT5-engine the display always says "2nd ball locked" then fires two balls in the plunger lane.
Whats up with that? I have no error codes on the machine, so I assume the switches must be working ok.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Check the switches in the physical lock, could be that they are in the wrong order (Ball lock 2 is where ball lock 1 is)

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I would start with the ball trough, and then check the ball lock switches. Something is not registering properly.

Adam's suggestion is also valid. If they are backwards the game will be confused and could try to kick 2 balls out as it's seeing too many in the trough under those conditions.

D

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Could be a swicth matrix issue. Maybe a bad diode, or even something as simple as a broken wire. Look closely and tug gently at the wires to ensure good contact. After that, you can test the diodes with a DMM.

Check the matrix diagram in your manual and see if the different swicthes for those areas (ball lock, trough etc.) are all on the same row or column. If so, I stick to my first comment.

Of course, do a switch matrix test first and do ensure that all the swicthes are working properly and that they are showing up on the DMD as what they should be (and not something else)... or not registering as 2 or 3 switches all at once.

hippochrome

Nov 19, 2012
Ottawa
Menace said:
I would start with the ball trough, and then check the ball lock switches. Something is not registering properly.

Adam's suggestion is also valid. If they are backwards the game will be confused and could try to kick 2 balls out as it's seeing too many in the trough under those conditions.

D

Thanks guys, will do...

What would I be looking for in the ball trough? Cleaning optos maybe?

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Start by taking all the balls out of the game, and put it into switch test. Then drop a ball into the trough and you should see it register each of the trough opto's, and as long as thats ok you know all the emitters and receivers are working. Then you need to confirm what switches are doing what in the lock, and verify them using the switch matrix chart. If everything checks out, I'd look at the trough PCB's for burnt parts or cold / broken solder joints.

D

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
What he said :)

If it's anythign like IJ, those boards on either side of the trough can get beat up pretty badly and some parts like resisitors will actually crack.

The test menu is your friend and it'll tell you right away if your swicthes are working and, more importantly, if they are registering as the correct swicthes... so watch carefully on screen as you test

hippochrome

Nov 19, 2012
Ottawa
Thanks for the help!

Did the switch test and the trough was all good. The culprit seems to be the switch for lock #2...it's sticky (I can only engage it once every 5sec, opposed to the others where I can go "on off on off on off" all I want).

Can these switches be fixed, or am I ordering a new one? Making a Marco order for one switch...awesome! Lol

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Order it from SB if all you need is a switch. No sense paying crazy Marco shipping fees for something SB should have in stock.

D

hippochrome

Nov 19, 2012
Ottawa
I took out the switch and the "clicked" heck out of it to free up its stickiness. Seems to be good now...Next time I make an order I'm gonna buy a whack of switches so I'll always have one on hand.

Thanks for all the help guys, this site is fantastic!