• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Counterforce Dip Switch Settings

CJBob

Nov 24, 2014
Mississauga
I'm looking for some help with the dip switch setting /program settings on Counterforce. If anyone could help me out via a private message I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Last edited:

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Your best bet is to purchase a manual from Steve at the Pinball Resource.
Gottlieb stuff isn't available online.

The other option would be to reach out to some Counterforce owners via Pinside. You're a lot more likely to find some there than here on a Canadian forum. I'd say there's only a small handful of them up here.

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I have an original Counterforce manual.
Post your question on the forum here (until you purchase a copy from Steve Young
or from an eBay seller) - I will try to answer it as soon as I get a chance.

- Sylvain.

CJBob

Nov 24, 2014
Mississauga
Thanks Sylvain, there is one thing I'm wondering if I can change.

Based on the current set up If you get all the targets down with the enemy in the first row you light the special target.
If you get all the targets down with the enemy in the second row you light the extra ball target.

In home use this doesn't make sense to me since the extra ball is more valuable to me than a free game. Is there a way to change these settings?

Of course after I get all the targets down I almost always miss the bonus or free ball shots so I really should focus on practicing those shots but changing a setting might be easier than improving my play. :)

Thanks

Bob

Last edited:

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Here are the related switches for this. Try it and let us know.

Switch 20 - Novelty Mode
ON: Playfield Special and Extra Ball features award 50,000 points and 5 knocks. High score, high game to date, and match features disabled.
OFF: Normal game mode.
Note :Switch 20 overrides switch 21.

Switch 21 - Game Mode
ON: Extra Ball
OFF: Replay
Note: If switch 21 is ON, the high game to date and match awards are disabled.

Switch 22 - Playfield Special
ON: Awards Extra Ball
OFF: Awards Special.

Switch 31
ON - Liberal
OFF - Conservative

Switch 32
ON - Liberal
OFF - Conservative

Liberal-Conservative Adjustments

The two rightmost switches (31 & 32) on the control board allow liberal-conservative adjustments.

Switch 31 in the Conservative position turns off the Extra Ball target if lit when the descending red lights reaches the multipliers.
In the Liberal position, the Extra Ball target stays lit until the ball goes out, unless it is collected.

Switch 32 in the Liberal position scores one Special and lights the Special target when the drop targets are completed while the 1st row of red lights is lit.
In the conservative position, only the Special target lights.

Recommended settings are:
Switch 31 - Conservative
Switch 32 - Conservative.

Good luck!
- Sylvain.

Reactions: CJBob

CJBob

Nov 24, 2014
Mississauga
Ok, so my manual finally arrived from Ebay and I reread this thread. Looks like dip switch 22 is what I want to change.

Bally dip switches are small black switches which are easy to move and change.

Newbie stupid question here, where the hell is dip switch 22 on this Gottlieb and what am I suppose to do with it? I'll try to post a picture in a second, had the whole family looking at this and we don't get it o_O

I assume it's a replacement board because it says N1-Wumpf Ltd. System 80 Driver 2007. Am I looking at the correct board? I think that's wrong, appears to be the lamp board.

There is a C22 on the board above it as well. Either way the buttons are silver and so small I can't find a way to move them?

Last edited:

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
You need to look at the MPU located at the top right in the head.

The manual has the explanation on p.1 II.B Lightbox Adjustments, similar to this pic below.
Basically, there are 4 banks of 8 switches, with switch 1 on the left of the 1st left bank of switches,
and switch 32 at the right of the last bank on the right.

There should be an arrow or indication for which is the ON side.
Remember - turn-off your machine before changing any of those settings.

- Sylvain.

Attachments

• GTB_MPU_Switches.jpg
    GTB_MPU_Switches.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 4

CJBob

Nov 24, 2014
Mississauga
Hi Sylvian, thanks for the help. It appears to me the MPU board is a replacement Here is a picture, there is a C22, is this the right spot? If it is how do I move it? It doesn't appear to move, I honestly don't see anything on this board that looks like a dip switch.

Last edited:

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Oh, sorry.
then, the info should be in THEIR manual.

From their web site:
http://www.ni-wumpf.com/System80CPU.html

this is the explanation - no more dip switches on this particular brand replacement MPU board:
'Full text based diagnostics menu system that allow operator option settings
(previously set via DIP switches) to be entered in directly via front door control.'

There should be a manual available for programming these options on their web site,
if not already obvious by pressing the self-test button inside the cash door to enter the
individual settings (and use the Credit button to enter or change a value I guess).

- Sylvain.

Reactions: CJBob