• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

CV Hire Wire Switches

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I was messing around with my CV aka "gaucho" tonight because I noticed the last few nights when I would shoot the ball up the left ramp it says Ball 1 locked followed by Ball 2 locked right after and then it will release the ball on the playfield leaving no balls locked on the hire wire ramp. I did a quick google search and turned out this is suppose to happen if you have the Tournament setting enabled and it will not leave a ball physically locked up there and uses virtual locks instead.

So turning it off should fix it and physically lock balls on the hire wire ramp but the immediate Ball 2 locked should not be happening unless you shoot a second ball up so I figure it has something to do with the switch not working or registering properly. I went into the switch test menu and good news is all 3 work and register when I engage it manually by hand. The problem is the person who but this back together did not put the proper switch and wire forms which are suppose to be these guys

detail.jpg

But here is what was installed on mine by the previous owner or person who put this game back together :(

8231919408_486e2c0e96_c.jpg

I tried to bend and adjust the switch actuator arm and got each one fully registering when a ball was on top but now the problem was if there is one ball locked and the magnet releases ball #2 to lock it will fall off once it collides with ball #1. Sometimes even when you lock ball #1 it will fall off to one side so the machine I guess will never know you have a ball or multiple balls locked. So by bending the wire form up it helps engage the switches more consistently but now because the ball sitting a bit raised from the wire form it can be knocked off easily.

I checked the usual places for the high wire switch part #5647-12693-66 (thanks J.Santiago) such as Pinball Life, Bay Area Amusements and even Marco and all sold out except for Mad Amusements. I will call SB tomorrow and see if they got any old stock and heard way too many stories as of late with people dealing with Mike at Mad.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Strange that you can't just bend the arms to the right shape, especially if you have the dimensions for it. I don't remember having any problems with those lock switches, but one other thing to check might be whether you have anything else loose on that wireform. I had a problem with my TZ where a ball would bounce off the wireform when the diverter fired that I solved with a washer to shim the wireform up a little.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Trust me I tried to bend the blades and as I mentioned before if I can get the switch to register consistently by manually placing the ball over it but then if I let it roll down it will jump off the wire form. I'm sure I could probably tinker around and make it work but sure after a few days/weeks of play I will need to tweak them again. I'd rather just put the proper switches so it works the way it was intended.

As much as I hate giving business to Mad I just might have to in this case. Good news is I won't be dealing with him direct as level42 is placing his order in now for his WH20 parts. I might just add 3 of those roller switches in a PBL order Adam, just to have in case shit hits the fan for Mad. At least I won't have to deal with the paypal dispute :lol: Thanks level42!

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
You may also want to replace that Robertson screw holding the post and skill shot plastic in place while you're at it, seeing as the factory never used Robertson screws for anything. :)

D

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Menace said:
You may also want to replace that Robertson screw holding the post and skill shot plastic in place while you're at it, seeing as the factory never sued Robertson screws for anything. :)

D

It must be a french thing... gaucho strikes again! :cry:

necro_nemesis

Nov 20, 2012
Newmarket, Ontario. Canada
I played around with this on mine when I shopped it. The marco pic you first indicated are the ones were in, and work correctly in mine. The switches have to close only when the balls sit immediately over top and they have to open and close as balls advance down the ramp in order for the switch logic to maintain count. What it amounts to is making sure the wireform ramp holds the balls down in position i.e. bend it down until the balls almost start to jamb going through the tunnel formed by the end of the ramp. Then you have to calibrate those switches to just close when the balls line up in their respective resting positions. With the correct switches, proper calibration and play taken out of the ramp, it works like a charm.