• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Definition of "Collector Quality"

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Well after a recent comment in another thread, it got me thinking more about the term "Collector Quality". I feel like I've been seeing this term pop up from time to time in FS threads and discussions. It sometimes seems to get thrown around the way the term "shop job" does.

Naturally, not all of us have the same attention to detail, and we all have varying opinions (hence some of the running jokes... :lol: ). With this said, I'd like to get a little discussion going on some of the different opinions on what "collector quality" means.

While we're at it, perhaps we can throw in some discussion on what a "players condition" game is, and when that transitions to a "rough example" or just plain "beat".

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I think true "Collector Quality" would mean something that was restored by high end restorer such as Chris Hutchens aka HEP. The attention to detail he puts in all his restores is second to none and higher end collectors are willing to pay the premium for this. A lot of sellers like to like to tack CQ to their HUO but I've seen my fair share of games which were HUO but look almost routed. If your game is a nice example you wouldn't need to sell it so hard and proper detailed pictures should speak for itself. I especially love the ones that have a game that was made in 1992 and they claim it has been HUO since 1999 :lol:

The bottom line is everyone's standards are different and what you consider "mint" or "solid" I might think it is below average. That is why when I buy a game I usually don't care about what the seller considers good about his/her game and instead I ask them what they consider bad and tell or show me more details.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Another term that has sort of been abused as of late on pinside are people claiming their games or restore is "as good as HEP" or why spend $12k on a HEP AFM when mine is as good as HEP for $9k. I seriously doubt that because if you see the attention to detail it is crazy. He is so anal to the point in some of his latest restores he redoes and re-wires some parts of the GI so there is less excess wire and routes it in a neater path.

Should check out his King Kong restoration here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... rocess-hep

Here are a few others HEP restores that are a good read:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... estore-hep
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... estore-hep
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... -this-week
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... ull-update

And who says you can't polish a turd :p

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-avengers-le

TwilightZone

Nov 25, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Cann't say I agree with the above comments. High end restore is beyond what is in most collectors home, so I certainly don't use that as a yard stick.

To me, collector quality means no playfield wear, no broken plastics, unfaded cab, no hacks on boards, translite mint, working 100%, plug and play ready. I would add recently shopped, but generally it's hard to find a game really shopped, so I focus on that check list. Better to do the shop job yourself and do it right. Generally games I have buy "shopped", I have shopped again.

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
CQ for me pretty much equates to NIB or better than NIB. The game is prestine.

HUO doesn't mean anything to me. HUO might as well be listed as Routed. It's completely based on the owner.

HUO listings showing "only played 250 times" and "1 owner" also don't mean anything to me. Terms like "play perfectly" also doesn't mean much to me as some people are not as observant as others.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
The terms do mean something, they just need to be used as a guideline though. In the end everything comes down to the condition of the particular machine. If you buy a huo game from someone it generally means it's going to be nicer than most routed games, not always, but usually. There is a very good chance there won't be lock bar holes drilled in the cabinet, gum stuck under the cabinet, and graffiti scratched into the side with keys. On the other hand it could have all of those things and still hold the title of "huo". Just like a HEP restored game. For all you know the game was home for a day and someone walked past it carrying something that put a huge scratch in the side. It still holds the title but now doesn't carry the condition that is generally associated with it. Bottom line is condition is king but the terms do still generally hold some weight, hence why they are usually higher priced.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
CQ does mean different things to different people.

If you were collecting comic books or action figures, the item would have to still be new and unopened to meet this criteria.
In pinball this isn't practical. These games get played... end of story.

I'd rather have an original game with under 100 plays from someone's basement than the same game restored by Chris Hutchins 10 years ago and played to death... so everything is relative.

As far as I'm concerned, Collector Quality means the game is of a caliber that a collector would proudly put it into their permanent collection. A clean and unabused example with nothing broken, missing or cracked and only the slightest signs of light use. Any other expectation is absurd.

The term "restored" should be treated as a separate classification unto itself. And, while these game would certainly qualify as CQ, that doesn't mean that a super nice all original (unrestored) example of the same title is not. In fact, I'd rather have the super nice original in most cases.

I've also seen a lot of 'restored' games. Most are usually route beaters that someone has attempted to bring back to life. Now you're relying on the skill of the restoration... while the base game and all of its electronics and mechanics have lived a pretty rough life. Appearances can be very deceiving. Almost anyone can apply a new set of cabinet decals and change out a few plastics and ramps.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I have to agree with Drano 100%, as I view CQ exactly as he does.

I also agree with other posters, that talk is cheap and proof is in the pudding. Anyone selling something can claim whatever they like but pictures (for the most part) and a visual inspection tell a much better story.

D