• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Digikey the fastest service on earth?

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
So for the last couple years anytime I wanted any electronic components I would make the trip to Sayal in either Burlington or Cambridge. I live in Brantford so best case scenario in looking at a 1.5 hour round trip of driving. Spend an hour or so searching around the store for the parts I need and head home. Reality is it would take up a good chunk of a Saturday for me.

Last night I decided to order from Digikey. Spent maybe 10 minutes searching the site to build my order, they had everything I needed. I've always heard that they were quick so I figured maybe by the end of the week I would have my stuff in. I placed my order at 530pm last night and it's going to be at my house waiting for me by the time I get home tonight! Crazy! For $8 shipping charge it's not even worth my time to go to a retail store (and my time is worth very little :p) let alone the cost in gas.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382458103092.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382458103092.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 276

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Re: Digikey the fastest service on earth?

That's impressive and coming from the US too!

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford

I'm curious if other people have had a similar experience or if I just happened to get my order in a soon as they were loading the FedEx plane and mine just squeaked in before the deadline? Like I said I've always heard they were quick but less than 24 hours, on an order that was placed passed 5pm, from another country, for $8 is well past my expectations.

Sent from my Nexus 4

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto

brad808 said:
I'm curious if other people have had a similar experience or if I just happened to get my order in a soon as they were loading the FedEx plane and mine just squeaked in before the deadline? Like I said I've always heard they were quick but less than 24 hours, on an order that was placed passed 5pm, from another country, for $8 is well past my expectations.

Nope, I've heard they ship really fast every time from my other friends who have ordered from them in the past.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora

I have worked in the Electronics industry for over 20 years, and this is digikey's specialty. They have always been very quick with shipping to anywhere in North America. The downside is you do pay a premium for this service as the components tend to be more expensive, but for hobbiests like us it's a small price to pay.

I usually use Newark over Digikey, but that's for personal reasons. Both companies are good at what they do, but I also try and support the little guys in the hobby like Ed at Great Plains Electronics and Bob Roberts as these guys stock a lot of specific and hard to find parts geared directly to us and the hobby we all enjoy.

D

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON

I've used both DigiKey and Newark (I prefer Newark too, they tend to have better parts pricing and customer service has comp'd me a couple times). Both are FAST, they have some sort of expedited cross-border arrangement because of their presence on both sides of the border. It pays to pay for overnight.

I too have used Ed and Bob and even though you may have to wait a little longer, it saves having to take a risk on parts substitutions or having to "scour" the big boys parts catalogs which aren't always as logically organized as one would think (not to mention being in short stock on the very parts we need most).

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont

I have had a similar experience with Digikey. When I had my own business I used them all the time and I've always had extremely fast shipping from them. Overnight was the norm, but sometimes it would take 2 days.

I also support Ed and Bob as well.