• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

DMD Replacement Opinions needed

juandylan

Nov 18, 2012
Thorold
Picked up a nice Johnny Mnemonic this past weekend. Only real issue it has (aside from the normal faded cab) is the DMD is gassing out. I plan on replacing it and have been looking at both the XPin colored displays (white in particular) and the ColorDMD display running Sigma as options.

Can anyone chime in on their own experiences with either of them? I'm well aware of the cost difference between all options, standard DMD also being the other option of course. I don't mind paying more for quality and enhanced experience.

Dylan

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Do you have any other games that are supported in full color by the ColorDMD? If you do I would say toss that old DMD in JM and upgrade that other game. The nice thing about ColorDMD is they are no longer game specific and can be updated yourself via USB to support other games you have or own in the future. It can also do the same job as the Xpin color display except in more then just one color. It costs a bit more but I think the versatility of being able to run it in any color in Sigma is a plus. Also the gridlines on the Xpin would bother me too.

xpin.jpg

juandylan

Nov 18, 2012
Thorold
I don't have any of the games currently supported by the ColorDMD but I imagine one day in the future I will add one. Definitely leaning towards the ColorDMD with the future in mind.

Ryan, my wife is giving me the gears about having a pin with Keanu on it!

ShootAgain

Aug 6, 2013
Gatineau
I bought a colorDMD to replace my outgassed DMD on Fish Tales.
Even if FT is not supported yet, the result with Sigma is incredible. I ordered the Stern connector so next step is to install it in my TSPP.