• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

DMD vs SS

Some pinballers speculates about SS. According to them, SS are going to lose their value because always according to them, the buyers want DMD and were able to no interest for SS. I believe that this vision is very narrow. SS are there to stay. They are less recent but not less funny. And the fact that the price of the DMD is increasing falls even more of charm in the SS because it's not everybody who wants to put several thousands of dollars on a pinball. The pinball is a game and not a method of investment.

What do you think of it?

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I don't see the value of SS games increasing at all.

The games that are popular will stay popular (Fathom, Centaur, Banzai Run, etc) but all the other SS machines I think will continue to lose value.

Similar to the trend of EM's.

SS machines besides not have a DMD just don't have the depth and variety that lots of DMD games have. They are simplistic with simplistic rule sets, some people enjoy them, I enjoy a few of them, but I doubt you will ever see them reach the level of the DMD simply because of their limited appeal to anyone who wants some depth in their pinball.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
No comment as I've got DMD tunnel vision at the moment :twisted:

Everyone who knows me knows has heard my "No ramp, No DMD, No thanks" policy when it comes to buying pins but deep down inside I am joking and love all pins equally. One day when I have an entire basement to myself I too would love to have a little bit of everything such as SS and EM games but for now my collection is very DMD heavy. Also given the way DMD pricing has shot up over the past year SS and EM games are looking more and more appealing too. That is why this year I have been focusing so hard on getting certain titles like TOTAN, CV, WH20 before they get out of my reach too.

Right now I have a SS game deal in the works and hope to be adding it before year end and it has real chimes too so hoping I can nail two birds with one stone.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I'm up around 8 SS games, but I most likely will end up going back down to about 6 of them as I don't think either Embryon or Joker Poker are keepers for my collection.

But SS games are a must have in my collection as their are potions of my basement where the ceiling is too low for a DMD and SOMETHING has to go there :p

Slam_Tilt

Nov 20, 2012
Brampton
Vengeance said:
as I don't think either Embryon or Joker Poker are keepers for my collection.

Hey Adam, Let me know if you decide to get rid of Joker Poker. Been looking for one for a long time.

As for SS, you won't see prices increase but I also don't think you will see them decrease much either. Same for EM's. They have been holding their values for quite a while now.

EJB

Nov 17, 2012
I'm starting to really open my eyes to older ss and em games. Some of them while maybe shallow are lots of fun! I like dmd's too though, which is probably why I'd love to find a breakshot in good condition right now

stiffler4444

Nov 20, 2012
Crystal Beach, Ontario
It's like everything...once new technology arrives, old technology gets cheaper...fast. If/when pinball successfully goes beyond DMD, you'll see that technology slow or stop in appreciation. Just the way it goes......

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Ive got most of the DMD's I want/like and have been slipping over to the older EM side.
I think the only area I have yet to explore is the early SS.
I'm negotiating to get my first... and it actually has ramps!!!

For the price they command, I think they are still good value.
From a competitive or gameplay prspective, pretty weak, but still fun and nice for some depth and variety in a well-rounded collection.
Banzai Run would be a dream to find one day... when I have more room ;)

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont
I've got a mix of SS and DMD machines, plus one EM. Non pinheads typically don't play the SS machines too much, not enough action or no ramps are the complaints I generally hear.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
DRANO said:
I'm negotiating to get my first... and it actually has ramps!!!

Choppa_475.jpg

... and a Choppa!! :D Let me know if it works out and I'll help you bring it home or over to Warlock's Warhouse

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I started out collecting the very late 80, early 90's pins as that was what I liked. Then one day visiting Cooke I was exposed to a number of classic Sterns and was immediately taken by their simplistic charm. (kinda like Cooke in a way) ;)

My collection is now pretty much split 50/50 DMD-late model games to early SS classics and I enjoy them all for what they are. I've now just recently acquired my first EM project, which I'm sure will eventually lead to more.

D

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
But SS games are a must have in my collection as their are potions of my basement where the ceiling is too low for a DMD and SOMETHING has to go there

You know, you could just make some slightly shorter legs for those sections :)

McMean

Nov 14, 2012
Peterborough
Vengeance said:
Similar to the trend of EM's.

I must disagree. When I got into this hobby, it took me about 2 days to find a sub $200 machine EM whenever I wanted one. Good luck finding that now.

EMs have increased in price, or at least become more scarce, in the last while. The vast majority of wedgeheads I've bought I've paid 250 or less, some fully working. No chance now... I see them posted near a grand, for regular titles that I struggled to get 400 for a year or two ago when I sold similar machines.

My humble 2cents.