• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Dutch Pinball: Bride of Pinbot 2.0 Kit + Colour Demo

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
fullkit.jpg

Most of you have probably seen or heard in the past that Dutch Pinball has developed a BOP upgrade kit that modernizes it by adding a DMD along with some new features such as:

Completely new rule sheet
3-Ball multiballs and wizard modes
Wheel awards become unique wheel modes
3D animations on a Dot Matrix Display
Full stereo music and SFX
The original voice of the 'Bride'
Player profiles, high score tracking & trophies
Easy to switch to the original game

The kit is made up of:

Dutch Pinball software
Mini-PC
P-ROC controller board
New speaker panel
Dot Matrix Display (optional)
High fidelity speaker set (optional)
2.1 Amplifier (optional)
Cables & miscellaneous

dmd1.png
dmd2.png

dmd3.png
dmd4.png

dmd5.png
dmd6.png

dmd7.png
dmd8.png

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=W4EzjW03L1o[/youtube]

Bride of Pinbot 2.0 Newsletter #1 (November 28th 2013)

Color display

One feature that was frequently suggested to us at Pinball Expo was the possibility to utilize a color display to make our modern dots even more impressive. We have looked into what is involved to achieve this technically and have since implemented the necessary code.

The only problem we are still working on is getting the original game emulation (PinMAME) to work well and look good on the color display. When we have everything worked out we will add this option to the website and reach out to our first run customers to give them the option to switch to the color display.

link: http://www.dutchpinball.com/newsletter/bop2/2013-11-28/

160121.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6d4vuJRFeT8[/youtube]

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
WOW!!! That's fricken awesome. I remember watching the early videos of their DMD animations and being surprised at how good it looked, but now with the colour DMD it's crazy good. I guess the down side is the price. €995 That's the same price as the original game (almost).

So the question is, does it take a $1500 game and turn it into a $3000 game? Probably. Game play will tell.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
the color lcd is sick. I think everyone would do cartwheels if that is what Stern adopted.

necro_nemesis

Nov 20, 2012
Newmarket, Ontario. Canada
Nice. The only negative comment I would have about gameplay is the announcing of shots. IMHO shots should be indicated visually and the audio used to confirm the completion of a shot or sequence of shots with the outcome having some element of surprise. This shot call is reminiscent of TOM and T3 which IMHO gets really repetitive when you own a game that does this. Pinball is about visual discovery in a sea of overwhelming visual feedback and audio used to confirm what you have accomplished vice telling you what specifically to do.

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
necro_nemesis said:
audio used to confirm what you have accomplished vice telling you what specifically to do.

I would suggest that there is room for nicely planned and discrete audio calls that help cue users to make a specific timed "money" shot now and again. I can't think off the top of my head other than Rollergames "Don't Flip! Flip!" but I am SURE I've had that "deaf, dumb and blind kid" experience of being cued to make a specific and satisfying shot based on an audio cue alone.

Of course Gottlieb/Premier was the king of the over-used audio calls, sometimes they make sense, but definitely over-used, especially when they start stacking and repeating. What I have always liked about Gottlieb though is the increase in pace or intensity of music that cues the end of a timed mode. That definitely makes things more exciting and easier than looking up to see a DMD timer in say STTNG (we get a spotter to do a countdown when we play STTNG to heighten the urgency).

The other extreme of "cueing" is physical, as in the Stewey mini playfield flippers flapping on their own, and perhaps the TAF snapping fingers/flippers (although that one is slightly different).

necro_nemesis

Nov 20, 2012
Luckydogg420 said:
So the question is, does it take a $1500 game and turn it into a $3000 game? Probably. Game play will tell.

Why not? People are willing to fork out considerably more for games that are far more pedestrian. It certainly is something distinct. Hopefully they paid homage to metamorphosis somewhere in the game as although a bit of a one trick pony it was this games one cool trick.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
Re: Dutch Pinball: Bride of Pinbot 2.0 Kit Colour Demo

Oh ya. If there's no metamorphosis or if you can't get the bride to sing, then that's a deal breaker. You can't remove the best parts of the original and then call your game "2.0". You must improve upon what's there already.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Re: Dutch Pinball: Bride of Pinbot 2.0 Kit Colour Demo

If I had a Bopp I'd splurge on this kit for sure. Alas... I've never been a fan of Pinbot et al.

D

necro_nemesis

Nov 20, 2012
My interest in BOP has always been to compliment FH in a collection. It's one of the three unique alphanumeric WPC's I would use to compliment and the other doesn't interest me. I guess technically there are four if WPC test bed Dr. Dude's are factored. Installing the kit sort of negates the purpose for me although I'm all for the concept just not in this application for my own reasons.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
frolic said:
the color lcd is sick. I think everyone would do cartwheels if that is what Stern adopted.

ABSOLUTELY

Been saying ever since ColorDMD was announced that this is the direction Pinball should be going.. I don't want a giant TV in the head of my pinball game, I want that retro look.. but you know, modernized. :D