• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Favourite DMD (what is your?)

EJB

Nov 17, 2012
WH2O. First pin I owned and first pin that I got to and completed wiz mode (well, vacation jackpot, kind of a wiz mode ;) )

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
TZ .. could not stand it at first really didn't enjoy playing it ... spent a fair amount of time learning the game .. went out and picked one up ... SM/LOTR would be my post 2000 pick different games but can't see either leaving soon.

slacker

Nov 15, 2012
Hamilton Ontario
Star Ship Troopers not only was it my first DMD its fast,fun and keeps you coming back.
However I would trade the guy I got it from for Blackspiderman stright up! :lol:

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
Geez - LOTR was awesome, but i have to admit loving TSPP more. However, being a Simpsons nut since 1989 helps that one out. I think TSPP has joined HS as the two "never leaving" machines in my basement.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
TAF because it was the first game where I really paid attention to the DMD.
IJ too because of how much the DMD gets integrated into the game and modes.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I have to add that the dots on XM are off the charts cool! Probably the best modern use of the DMD since LOTR (which is also fantastic).

McMean

Nov 14, 2012
Peterborough
Elvis or LOTR... don't make me choose. (fancy that, I own both).

There aren't many DMDs that I truly love... lots I mostly like, lots more i am 'meh' about. In my 'like' column would be TSPP, CSI, Spiderman, NGG, BSD, and ACDC. And.... that's about it I think. I may one day look for a TSPP or CSI, but for the most part I'm very happy with my 2 DMDs and there's lots more EM or SS games on my list that I'd like to have before DMDs.

Daniel

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Favourite DMD? I gotta go with Tron, from a game play perspective. I'd give a nod to TZ here too. Tough to pick just one.

Favourite DMD game for use of DMD? Probably goes back to TAF. Playing it back in the 90s when it first came out I found the dots really suited the overall theme and mood during gameplay. It worked so well with the sound package. Again, a nod to TZ here as well. Its pulsing jackpot animation with the sound it played has got to be my favourite jackpot feedback. There's something about that specific era, 1993 ish, where the Williams DMD dots were all very good.

Slam_Tilt

Nov 20, 2012
Brampton
It is hard to say what my favourite is. I would probably have to say LOTR. To me this game is the complete package. Great layout, music and ruleset. I would also say it has the best theme integration of any pin out there. It is as Epic as the books and movies. I find it very hard to criticize any aspect of this game. It is just WOW!

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
REVOLUTION said:
I prefer Cherry to Vishay for sure. That said, they're both better than X-Pin (I don't like the gridlines).

... wait, maybe I misunderstood the question..
Lol. Then thinking along those lines, my favourite DMD is the larger Data East ones in found in Baywatch or Frankenstein.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I'm guessing the OP probably intended to find out what your favorite modern game was (as in DMD era), rather than anything really to do with the DMD itself... but that's just a guess.

I also defaulted to the same line of thinking though.

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Vengeance said:
Sega, not Data East.

Yes, of course, I stand corrected.

In many ways I think I'd prefer those larger DMDs over a big honking screen like WOZ. Who has time to raise your sightline that far up. You've got to keep your eye on the ball.

DRANO said:
the OP probably intended to find out what your favorite modern game was

Agreed, it's what I thought too. But it was fun to pull his leg a bit like Brock did.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
There were lots of problems with the bigger ones.

Besides the fact that they were almost double in price, they drew much more power and were prone to locking up as a result.

I went through a bunch of problems when I had a MSF to fix the display so it worked reliably.