• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

[FOUND]: WTB IM or SM

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Re: WTB IM or SM

Oh, here is a small thought for everyone out there.
Ironman and Spiderman are "HUGE" in pop-culture these days.
My 9 year old son loves Marvel, DC, but Ironman and Spiderman are tops to him.
If you don't think that Disney/Marvel and eventualy Stern don't already know this all...

Well, just wait. MMR was nothing. The flood gates will open in due course and in it's time.
If you think that your SM or IM is worth "X" now, it will be worth "Y" anything in days to come.

Just saying. It will happen.
This is a hobby, not an RRSP.

Cheers.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot

WARLOCK said:
Well, just wait. MMR was nothing. The flood gates will open in due course and in it's time.
If you think that your SM or IM is worth "X" now, it will be worth "Y" anything in days to come.

Just saying. It will happen.
This is a hobby, not an RRSP.

Cheers.

Gary Stern addressed SM.... he'd re-run it if he could but he can't because it is based on the previous movies and they have a new series now. The license holder won't let him. So SM is safe.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com

frolic said:
Gary Stern addressed SM.... he'd re-run it if he could but he can't because it is based on the previous movies and they have a new series now. The license holder won't let him. So SM is safe.

"Safe".

Use of that word in this context is a matter of perspective, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto

frolic said:
So SM is safe.

Safe from what? Pinball is a hobby and not an investment. If it was an investment here is what the Hulk LE graph would look like :D

market-crashes.jpg

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot

Well, Safe from being re-run, that is all. I make no speculation for future value.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON

Could they maybe re-run with a new art package? If they kept the same playfield and code, but just updated the artwork with new assets from marvel, it could be awesome. The only thing wrong with the game is that it's based on those movies-follow up on X-Men and put in some McFarlane artwork (or Romita, or Ramos, or Bagley...) and it could be a killer LE rerun.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga

Arent the modes and even the callouts based on the movie too?
I don't think it would be as simple as an art swap.

That being said, just go and buy any other Steve Ritchie game. They all play the same anyway :lol:

Chambahz

Dec 15, 2012
East York, Toronto

You guys may have uncovered exactly why StarTrek is a complete copy of SM.
If they're not able to do a re-run, why not use as much material as possible and do another game?

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com

It's a novel idea to re run a game with a new theme but I don't think ST was a conscious reworking of SM. It was just Steve Ritchie being environmentally sensative...by recycling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga

SR is famous for doing this. Both of his star trek pins are super similar.
The latest one being a poor man's STTNG (putting on flame suit now).

And... ACDC is not much more than an upgraded T2 with the cannon in a different spot and much better rules.
I'm sure we could go on and on.... but every designer has his own style and things they like to re-use. And then there's Borg... who just borrows from all of them :lol:

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto

The Getaway is pretty much same as the original High Speed
No Fear shares some similarities as T2 and Black Knight 2000
Rollergames uses the same main ramp and divertor as High Speed
Elvis uses same upper loop and magnet shot as Rollergames

I think his only original game or not a rehash of something he has done in the past is World Poker Tour. Don't get me wrong, his games are fun to play but in other people's homes or you can't only have so much of him in your personal collection before it starts to feel repetitive imo.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON

Arent the modes and even the callouts based on the movie too?

Technically, yes. There's some stuff you could cast as "generic" for the characters, and it wouldn't fit 100%, but it could be done. Not sure if they'd have to change all the animations/callouts as well, but even if they did, you're talking an art pass, a dots pass, and a sound pass to be able to re-run the game. Would probably also mean little to no mechanical or electrical engineering work, no tool/die/mold creation, and reasonably minimal reprogramming except for replacing samples-basically a way to get a "new" game out onto the street without the production cost of a full new title.

Yeah, probably not as easy as it should be, and it'll never happen, but I can just imagine how cool a comic-themed spider-man game could be.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga

Chris Bardon said:
Yeah, probably not as easy as it should be, and it'll never happen, but I can just imagine how cool a comic-themed spider-man game could be.

I think Gottlieb made one :D

Well... there's always XMEN.
Hopefully Stern does more art and animation packages like that! But, after seeing Mustang, I'm not holding my breath.

If the rumours are true and they are doing a zombie pin next, hopefully they'll go back to hand drawn stuff.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough

"Jump the shark" is in full swing already.
The public just doesn't know it yet.
With repro pins of everything?
Anything is really possible.

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB

Picked up a beauty SM from THE ENABLER. Thanks Mike!

Going to take IM off the list "for now", as I played Mikes ToM and TOTAN. Think either one of these will be my next title!