• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

good first machine

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
goomba said:
Are there questions I should be asking about the machine?

Address and time to come see the game today would be a good start :p

If you check the other thread on maaca there appears to be potentially two people interested and one is asking about possible "free" transport to Ottawa Pinball show via WARLOCK which is not likely to happen by the way. With you being local the seller might be more inclined to deal with you since it will be a much easier transaction and you can pay and pick up the game yourself.

goomba

Aug 30, 2013
GTA
Sent him a PM. Without pictures, what kind of shape should I expect the machine to be in? He says everything works, normal wear and tear on the playfield. What's normal for these machines?

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Depending on how well "loved" (aka played) the game was I would suspect there to be some kick out hole wear in three areas I have circled. I have read that there might be wear on the lower playfield where the car is too? Other high traffic areas would be near by the pop bumpers are the inlanes where the ball is dropped after you hit either ramp shot. I would also check the entrances of both ramps to see if they are cracked, run your hand over the playfield inserts to see if they are raised. For the price the seller is asking you can't expect too much and he already noted there is normal wear and tear on the playfield.

I am hoping you can can pop by and see the pin in person to make a better decision. Even if you don't buy it at least you will know if you like the game play or not but it does meet your budget. Good luck and hope everything works out.

Attachments

• SF2_wear.png
    SF2_wear.png
    712.6 KB · Views: 650

goomba

Aug 30, 2013
GTA
Ended up withdrawing from that machine. Although the price is right, the game seems much too stop-and-go for my liking. It seems he has other buyers lined up so it's better it goes to someone who will really like it. I'll continue doing my research. Shouldn't have played Taxi :)

Thanks for the tips mwong.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
I played Shaq at Allentown this past year. Illusion of a packed playfield, but there really isn't much to the game. Lacking in the fun department. Not a fan of pinball sports games so maybe my opinion is soured.

The art package is quite possibly the worst in all of pinball...so that turns people off the game pretty quick.

goomba

Aug 30, 2013
GTA
Nevermind that one - watched some videos, seems like the basket shot might get old. How can something like High Speed, almost 10 years its senior, seem so much more fun, at least on videos.

goomba

Aug 30, 2013
GTA
DRANO mentioned Whirlwind so I took a look at that. Seems like a very fun machine as well, and a very popular one. I take it it's considerably more expensive than a good High Speed due to its popularity?

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
goomba said:
DRANO mentioned Whirlwind so I took a look at that. Seems like a very fun machine as well, and a very popular one. I take it it's considerably more expensive than a good High Speed due to its popularity?

I've played Whirlwind before and I think it the better of the two Pat Lawlor disaster themed pins. It has 6 pop bumpers, 2 ramps with one that lifts up to reveal a ball lock, drop targets and 3 spinning disc to add a bit of random chaos when you least expect it.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
goomba said:

Unfortunatley, finding a nice WW is the trick. Many seem to be beat to hell... and you just don't see many come up at all.
The nice thing about the WPC era is that playfields were starting to get Diamondplated, so the early 90's pins seem to have held up a bit better over time vs. their System 11 counterparts.

Also, I think production numbers started to spike around then too... so many more games were being produced.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Kick myself for not picking up brewmanager's WW a while back. Lovely example. I had just got the Funhouse, and the WW would have been too much Lawlor in too small a collection. Definitely a good game to start off with...if it wasn't your cup of tea it would be easy to re-sell...something like Shaq Attack would be quite the opposite.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
For the same reason as Spiroagnew, I passed on Brewmanager's WW. Too many Lawlor's already for me, but a very nice example.
A member on the forum here owns it though, so that WW may come up again when pin lineups change in members basements.

***EDIT***

For $1400, I would recomment the following. High Speed from the Ottawa pinball show. Rock solid example. Available. ***SOLD***
For $1500. I would recommend Space Shuttle from the Ottawa pinball show. Spare parts as well. Same deal. Available.
If you would like those members contact info., I am happy to pass that on to you.

If your budget range is higher or lower, I have some EM's and some DMD's I may let go soon. EM's are solid and tuned up
by some of the best EM repair guys that are members on the forums. DMD's are Bally/Williams and are a different price
point than the other brands. Easier to resell when you are ready to though.

Good luck hunting.
All the best.

***FYI - That HS pin was sold in under 3 hours this morning. Good (known) pins sell quickly once the word is out.***

goomba

Aug 30, 2013
GTA
Wow, that was a quick sale. You really have to watch the forums like a hawk :)

Out of curiosity, do you know how much that WW was listed for? It seems like a colourful, family-friendly machine which could eventually be leverage with the wife.

From Pinball Arcade, Space Shuttle seems like fun but I'm afraid the same sequence of shots might get old (although maybe High Speed is like that too?)

Warlock, at what price point do your DMDs start at (just so I have an idea of the difference from my budget)?

Thanks.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
goomba said:
Out of curiosity, do you know how much that WW was listed for? It seems like a colourful, family-friendly machine which could eventually be leverage with the wife.

I believe it was sold for $2500, looked and played very nice.