• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Gottleib EM startup problem

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
My tech bud and I do the odd house calls for friends, etc. When I got the call from the owner of the local wrecking yard it seemed like a good opportunity to get some cheap parts down the road. Plus he's a friend of my brother in law. We got lucky and fixed his Allied Leisure Rock On pretty quick.
The Gottleib High Hand EM is a more complex problem.
When you initially power up the tilt light is on on the backglass. when you press the start button the tilt light goes out, the machine indexes but the ball does not eject, nor do the flippers work. We have a manual and schematic. Noticeably different from my old Bally EM the manual does not go into detail as to how the start sequence travels through the machine making finding the problem that much harder. It's a long process to unbraid the harness to chase the wiring around the machine so I thought I would look for some input on some of the more common spots to check first. We tried the fuse holder first, reset coil assembly, have not got too far into it yet.

It would be great to get some input from someone who has dealt with Gottleib EM repairs.

Allan

Jan 16, 2014
Binbrook
AX ,R and U relays are trouble get a schematic from Steve Young pinball resource instruction manual has Operating instructions[startup] before you hack up the harness .Found 2 many torn up harnesses

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
As recommended by Allan above, the Interlock Relays are critical in adjustments.
They are usually located in the cabinet near the front.
Make sure all contact stacks on all relays are tight before attempting any contact adjustment or cleaning with a flexstone.

Also, I would recommend to never undo the wire harnesses - it makes the repair look like a hack after
if not cleanly put back together with tie-wraps.
Much easier and a clean job to get the original schematic from Steve Young (The Pinball Resource).
You might be lucky in finding an original schematic copy on eBay as well.

Finally, a startup sequence from a similar era and 1-player machine is available here, it might help:
http://user.xmission.com/~daina/tips/pub/tip0450.html

Good luck !
- Sylvain.