• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Greetings

FastEd

Sep 5, 2014
Toronto
Hello,

Long time lurker (since creation of the site!). Just wanted to say hello, as I'm getting close to getting my first pin (after sitting on the sidelines for the last 3 years). I've loved pinball since the arcade heydays of the 80's, my romping grounds was Eglinton Square and the Downstairs John. This site has been very informative and entertaining. Looking forward to contributing to the forum instead of just lurking!

Cheers,
Ed

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Welcome Ed!
Always looking forward to more voices on PREV.

So what game(s) are you tracking down out of curiosity?

FastEd

Sep 5, 2014
Toronto
Thanks for the welcome!

I'm looking at a SS or a DMD to start. I've always enjoyed playing Funhouse, so, if I can locate one of those, that would be ideal. Also looking at White Water, The Getaway and other DMD's. Had a lot of fun playing TAF at the Balacade last month. My limitation is on the ceiling height of my basement (about 78"), so, it's gonna be tough to get games (especially ones with toppers) in there.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Welcome. I know you haven't purchased your first pin yet but the best advice I can give is to start making room and saving up for #2 :p.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
FastEd said:
My limitation is on the ceiling height of my basement (about 78"), so, it's gonna be tough to get games (especially ones with toppers) in there.

You don't play the topper but you also can't have an Addams Family without the iconic cloud topper either. Thankfully Drano had a spare set of replated chrome legs that are shorter then standard WPC ones.

11678347764_4336869d24_z.jpg

It is noticeably shorter once I put it in my row as seen here but if I can find myself a Creech or Judge Dredd I will gladly pull it out on it's own where Tron currently sits right now and put that up on for sale ASAP!

14449975862_f3b7008902_z.jpg

14661157176_6b2b86a7f4_z.jpg

Welcome to the forums Ed and shoot me a PM with your budget and list of games. I've been known to help people pop their cherry in this hobby. I would also advise you to go out and play as many games as you can because what you thought you liked before you might not like anymore. You are welcome to swing by anytime to play if you'd like and am located near 401/Yonge. Be warned after you leave you will probably buy your first pin within a week and sure some will chime in their experience :twisted:

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
78" might just be enough.
When I renovated my basement I made sure my subflooring and ceiling drywall allowed me just enough room to squeeze in my TAF, FT & WH2O. I think they are about 76" high.

Attachments

• 20140824_215136.jpg
    20140824_215136.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 503

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Whilst I can't compete with Drano and Mike on photos currently, I could with folded pins I have all over.
I admit that every trip to MWong's and Drano's basement is a dangerous endeavor in desired pin spending.

Scott

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Welcome to the sickness... err I mean hobby Ed. Definitely a good mix of characters around here, and I'm sure we'll be able to help you obtain your first game without too much difficulty. (Wong is definitely the right person to be in touch with in that department)

Doug

FastEd

Sep 5, 2014
Toronto
brad808 said:
Welcome. I know you haven't purchased your first pin yet but the best advice I can give is to start making room and saving up for #2 :p.

Haha, I was dutifully warned of this. Hopefully the physical limitations of my basement will restrict their growth.

mwong168 said:
Welcome to the forums Ed and shoot me a PM with your budget and list of games. I've been known to help people pop their cherry in this hobby. I would also advise you to go out and play as many games as you can because what you thought you liked before you might not like anymore. You are welcome to swing by anytime to play if you'd like and am located near 401/Yonge. Be warned after you leave you will probably buy your first pin within a week and sure some will chime in their experience :twisted:

Thanks mwong. I have a sneaky feeling that you just might pop my cherry (in this hobby!). Thanks for the invite, I used to live in that area (in St. Andrews), but, after seeing your collection, my list of games and budget may not match! Those short legs are a great idea!

Thanks for the photo Drano, it gives my low ceiling hope!

WARLOCK said:
Whilst I can't compete with Drano and Mike on photos currently, I could with folded pins I have all over.
I admit that every trip to MWong's and Drano's basement is a dangerous endeavor in desired pin spending.

It truly does look dangerous! PS. Enjoy reading your posts here and elsewhere.

Menace said:
Welcome to the sickness... err I mean hobby Ed. Definitely a good mix of characters around here, and I'm sure we'll be able to help you obtain your first game without too much difficulty. (Wong is definitely the right person to be in touch with in that department)

Yup, it's good to find such informed people in Toronto, and I have a feeling that mwong will be a dangerous person to be around!

REVOLUTION said:
What's your budget, Ed? It'll help us keep you in mind if we spot something

I'm thinking around $3500 for my first pin is a realistic budget? Hopefully that should get me something that is fun and in decent shape.

maken

Jan 2, 2014
Kitchener
Welcome aboard!

$3500 is a very nice budget for your first game, very few collectors enter the hobby with that kind of enthusiasm.

My advice as a newb who has bought 5 machines in his first 10 months in the hobby is to buy an average priced game that is in good shape rather than a more expensive game in poor condition. Nothing worse than staring at your very expensive paperweight when it isn't functional. Parts/labour aren't cheap and shipping from the USA is a major pain for all of us.

Congo, Judge Dredd and Johnny Mnemonic are all great games that are (relatively) cheap.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Great advice maken and I tell everyone I meet who is new into the hobby the exact same thing. Unless you have an electronics background to read schematics and/or mechanically inclined you might not want to buy a cheap project or fix it up as your first pin. It might discourage or sour your experience and on top of that if you have a wife she will be giving you shit daily for spending all this money for something that is broken. Bigbossfan (aka Reg) can speak about this first hand :lol:

maken said:
Congo, Judge Dredd and Johnny Mnemonic are all great games that are (relatively) cheap.

I've got a Johnny Mnemonic you can try out tonight to see if you'd like and if you do guess what... my good friend bstock (aka Ben) is selling one right now. This game use to belong to Drano and is not "collector quality" but sure it is a solid playing game.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2634&p=22423#p22423

Don't worry about the distance as I am sure Ben is aware that he needs to somehow bring the game to the GTA in order for it to sell. You buy his Johnny Mnemonic, I know of a Congo which has been on Ben's wish list that might be available from another collector friend and seller now has money to buy another pin and the 3 way circle jerk comes full circle and everyone wins!

If it turns out you like neither title that is fine and $3500 will give you many other options.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Well, for anyone watching, this is how it all works.
2 well known machines from known members and presto.

I will put it out there than Ben and I have chatted about his JM for a long while now.
Still, you never know. Another well known repair guy on here has a Rollergames I can play as well.
Otherwise, Tim would have had a PM from me already when he hinted on another thread it may be for sale.