• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Greetings

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Welcome Ed! $3500 is a great budget for a first pin. You should be able to find something you like without a problem with a budget like that. As suggested, play as many games as you can and figure out what's going to work for you. As far as my JM is concerned, as WARLOCK mentioned, we've been trying to work out a deal for quite a while, and I think we've come up with a nice deal, so as of the Ottawa show JM will be in Scott's possession.

Plenty of games floating around though that might be advertised for sale, as well as plenty of stuff that might be for sale behind the scene. If I can give you some advice, I'd suggest that you take Mike up on his offer to help you locate a game.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
I would suggest starting with a DMD.
I started with an EM, stepped up to a SS and now have a DMD.
The advancements just shine through in the end. I'm not saying my Checkpoint has more features or a deeper rule set than my High Speed. I just find Checkpoint more fun to play with some of it's extra features and the DMD is something extra to watch while you wait for your turn.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Welcome to the jungle!

We've got fun and games!

Another great way to get to play a whole pile of different games is to come out to some TOPL nights. Even if you're not a great player, the league is still a great excuse to socialize and play pinball every Monday.

FastEd

Sep 5, 2014
Toronto
Thanks for all the feedback so far everyone.

Yes, I think for my first pin, I want to get an average pin in a good condition as opposed to an expensive title in poor condition. I want the first pin to be a "positive" experience to build off of.

My preference is for a DMD machine, but, there are some fun non-DMD machines that I would entertain.

That JM was tempting Ben, but, it sounds like it found it's proper owner in Warlock's hands. At least there will be another JM in the GTA!

TOPL sounds like fun and will have to check it out in the future. The Ottawa show sounds like a good idea too.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Yeah, if you can make it out to the Ottawa show that would be hands down the best place to play a bunch of games to get a feel for what you like as well as a decent selection of games to purchase all at the same time.

Lots of the members here will be in attendance too. (I can't make it out due to previous commitment)

D

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Ed, go see Mike for sure. If you come to Ottawa, Wong can tell you a bunch of us that will be there.
Ben's JM and about 10 of my pins will be there for the tournament.

This JM is my 2nd one. I need to give it another whirl. I miss my old one.

Try everything, but buy what you want and like and what keeps you coming back to play more.
Unfortunately, I don't really have any DMD's I am letting go of just yet. Maybe this fall.
I will have likely 5-10 SS's and EM's I will sell off between now and Christmas time.

May I also suggest the following.

1) DMD's are great to play individually. Long ball times and games. Lots of eye candy going on.
2) SS's and EM's receive more play time if you entertain socially, or have friends over to play.

I have a friend who wants "in" to the pinball world. I am suggesting 1 DMD, 1 SS and 1 EM to him.
3 pins, 3 different kinds of style and gameplay. For $5000, you can have a nice pin of each type.
That is the same budget as what a new Stern pin used to sell for. That is my suggestion based on
the fact I know he entertains a lot. His wife "thinks" pins are EM's. To each their own. Cheers.

thewebexpert

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Almonte, Ontario
I'd have to agree, really if I have people over (regardless of age) people play tron once, stagate a bunch, dr who even more, high speed a ton, and about 5 times on the old school ems) it is funny, people who just want to play and have fun prefer the older games.

Tron is a bitch, it is fast, and over really fast for someone who is not in the groove. When I play Dr Who, I can actually say "Holy crap this is taking a long time". And stargate is so generous with the balls, people just love it.

I would recommend a stargate or a dr who as a great family game ... I would avoid Tron as a first (I would never sell it, but it is cold compared to high speed or the other games ...)

I would also go for games with a goal... like high speed (hit the lights in order) or Dr Who (play the arcade or hight the 3 tiered feature) .. people prefer a goal ....

mitch_a

Mar 2, 2014
Bamberg Ontario
If your looking for a first pin I have a really nice condition Last action hero I would sell. Its the first dmd i bought and I have never had a issue. Send me a PM if you want and welcome to the pinball addiction!

FastEd

Sep 5, 2014
Toronto
Wow, I feel like a kid in a candy store. So many interestin choices and options. I'm already thinking about my 2nd and 3rd pin. I think you're right Warlock, I most likely will go with that type of lineup. Most people won't know that this is a NIB Stern or a 20year old machine. They're all pinball machines. Decisions decisions...

Also, what are some basic things that I need to buy? I'm guessing something like a refrigerator dolly and a pinball lifter of some sort?

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
A dolly is usually a requirement but a pin lifter is only really needed if you have LOTS of games and you're constantly moving them or working on them. (I've been wanting a proper lift given the amount of work I do on pins, but have yet to find one I'm willing to pull the trigger on)

Beyond that, you'll need a 5/8 and a 9/16 set of box wrenches or sockets for legs and head bolts. If you plan to do your own work you'll need a whole whack of tools and supplies, to which we started a thread on that very subject here.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2160&hilit=tool

D

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
I had the parents give me a fridge cart for x-mas when I knew I was going to be in the hobby for a while.
Fridge cart with straps $50 at princess auto.
Now my nephew doesn't mind so much with helping me lug machines around now that we aren't carrying them.
Recently I've had the in-laws give me the flyers for my collection for x-mas. the game may be long gone but the memories are still there.

FastEd

Sep 5, 2014
Toronto
Hey Mike,

Thanks again for letting me drop by and check out your pins. That's quite the collection and all the games were in top shape. Looking forward to having you "enable" my first pin!

Ed

FastEd

Sep 5, 2014
Toronto
Menace said:
A dolly is usually a requirement but a pin lifter is only really needed if you have LOTS of games and you're constantly moving them or working on them. (I've been wanting a proper lift given the amount of work I do on pins, but have yet to find one I'm willing to pull the trigger on)

Beyond that, you'll need a 5/8 and a 9/16 set of box wrenches or sockets for legs and head bolts. If you plan to do your own work you'll need a whole whack of tools and supplies, to which we started a thread on that very subject here.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2160&hilit=tool

D

Thanks for the link! Exactly what I was looking for.

FastEd

Sep 5, 2014
Toronto
BMHouze said:
I had the parents give me a fridge cart for x-mas when I knew I was going to be in the hobby for a while.
Fridge cart with straps $50 at princess auto.
Now my nephew doesn't mind so much with helping me lug machines around now that we aren't carrying them.
Recently I've had the in-laws give me the flyers for my collection for x-mas. the game may be long gone but the memories are still there.

Saw these as princess auto, on sale. Anyone use them?

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Movi ... /8288037.p

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
FastEd said:
Hey Mike,

Thanks again for letting me drop by and check out your pins. That's quite the collection and all the games were in top shape. Looking forward to having you "enable" my first pin!

Ed

I'm glad you made it over and got to try out a few games to get a feel for what you may or may not like. I predict you will be bringing home a Congo this coming weekend and glad to see you are already thinking ahead and shopping for dollies :)

Also feel free to come by again next time when you don't have hockey and stick around longer to play and chat.

FastEd said:
Saw these as princess auto, on sale. Anyone use them?

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Movi ... /8288037.p

I've never used one of these personally and curious how they work especially after seeing Ed Cheung use one to move his TOTAN out of his place.

t_bal.jpg

t_bottom.jpg

t_rig.jpg

t_winch.jpg

Personally I think it looks like more work to get everything hooked up then to just have 2 people bump it up one step at a time using a normal dolly. If you think you will be moving a lot of pins around this style of appliance dolly is very popular with a lot of collectors. It goes on sale for $70-80 at Canadian Tire or Princess Auto. I bought one of these years ago and sadly you can't use a dolly to assist with the move up or down at my house and all has to be hand carried.

8095937.jpg

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Movi ... /8095937.p

tkaye

Mar 17, 2013
Ancaster, On
I have the one from Princess Auto. Works great. Depending on your stairs it may be easier to move by hand however.

FastEd

Sep 5, 2014
Toronto
Congo would be a great first pin indeed!

tkaye said:
I have the one from Princess Auto. Works great. Depending on your stairs it may be easier to move by hand however.

Which one tkaye? The 6-wheel stair climber or the one that Mike linked?

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Ed if you are going to buy a dolly get the appliance one because I can see the 6 wheeled one being more of a pain in the ass if you have really narrow stairs. If you notice the appliance dolly also has a track on the back to assist with lifting up and down stairs too. Unless you got deep pockets you can invest in an Escalera Stair Climber :lol:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5O_IbUq8jME[/youtube]