• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Harlem Globetrotters - Right Gate not working

ShootAgain

Aug 6, 2013
Gatineau
I bought a Project HG that came with an Altek MPU. I had a weird problem with coils firing twice at the same time that I managed to fix in repining the connectors. I also installed a brand new rectifier board and a new altek solenoid board
Now, everything work as it should except the right gate. The right gate coil has been replaced and still nothing..
In test mode, all the coils are firing one by one as it should except coil #13 (right gate). If I look at the leds on the new SDB during test mode, each led blink one by one when their respective coil fires..but again, nothing for Q17.
I checked the continuity on both the daisy chain and from the ground lug and the pin on the J5 connector and the continuity is good.
Since the right gate signal should come from the mpu and that my SDB doesn't seems to react, I suspect a communication issue between the mpu and the SDB but just don't know where to start.
Does anyone of you have a clue on which pin or connector should I check first? Any advice?

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Crack open Clay's guide to the section about coils not working properly.

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index3.htm#driver

I would start by grounding the coil itself and then grounding the TIP102/SCR on the driver board and see if you get any action with the gate. If you do, then you've almost definitely narrowed down the problem to communication between the two boards. Check the manual...you can trace the path from the TIP102/SCR backwards towards the MPU. It should give you the connector and wire color to look for.