• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Has anyone rigged something up to keep a playfield vertical?

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
So one thing I've noticed is that if I have a game open and have to work on something with the PF up, I get a little paranoid about it not staying upright and either a-falling on my head, or b-falling while I'm not there holding it and breaking something when it hits. Has anyone rigged something up to keep a PF in the vertical position? When it's up it looks like it leans against the head at <10 degrees, which means that it doesn't take much to push it the other way, especially if you're working on something near the bottom. I was thinking of something using a couple of bungee cords to go over the head and hook to the bottom of the cabinet, but if there's a better idea out there, then I'd love to hear it.

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
Re: Has anyone rigged something up to keep a playfield verti

Chris,

You want one or two of these (Spring Clamps):

Spring-Clamp.jpg

Different era/manufacturer games have different methods of tilting back the playfield against the head, on some (that are not hinged) you pull the bottom of the playfield towards you to get a better angle.

However on the hinged ones, like 90's Bally's putting a pring clamp or two carefully onto the side of the play field cabinet so that it wedges the upright playfield makes it so it can't "bounce" forward and then slam down on you. Been using this method forever. ;)

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford

I use clamps. If I'm going to be leaving it up for a long time I'll tie rope around the head just to be cautious, only takes a second and gives me peace of mind.

Sent from my Nexus 4

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON

I've installed screw hooks right into the ceiling drywall (into a joist) and tied off the PF on occasions where I thought I'd need it.
p1785035_l.jpg

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga

superjackpot said:
I've installed screw hooks right into the ceiling drywall (into a joist) and tied off the PF on occasions where I thought I'd need it.

Seems... ummm, a little excessive no?

But I'm not one to judge... I never clamp off a playfield. I'm sure it'll bite me in the ass (or head) one day. :x

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto

DRANO said:
But I'm not one to judge... I never clamp off a playfield. I'm sure it'll bite me in the ass (or head) one day.

Well it beats working on a game via coin door :p

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON

DRANO said:
Seems... ummm, a little excessive no?

Maybe, but it seemed the safest approach. Again, this is about keeping the PF straight up, and not leaning on anything else. It was a BK and it was tricky keeping the playfield at 90 degrees. With popcorn ceilings, however, the screw hole was a non issue. With smooth ceilings or tiles etc., clamps are the way to go, but not spring loaded ones. I'd use something more substantial.

When doing extended service on my EMs, I use a ~3 ft length of 1x2 wood with appropriately tapered/notched ends. Wedge this somewhere near the lock down bar area and place the other end against a sturdy mech on the (middle) underside of the PF. I found the stick esp. useful for the heavy BH pf.