• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

SOLD Help requested re: nice 1960 baseball machine soon for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

110Phil

Jan 27, 2015
Ottawa
A friend of a friend is handling her friend's estate sale in Toronto. It includes a Williams "Official Baseball" pitch and bat game (see pics). It's either "Deluxe Official Baseball," from 1960 -- or "Official Baseball" from 1960. IPDB says the difference is that the "Deluxe" version has replay/match. This one has a credit indicator wheel on the backbox ... but maybe the novelty one has that too?

It's in nice shape ... six pictures attached.

Anyway, she'd appreciate some advice, if anyone has some expertise:

-- which version is it?
-- is it safe to plug in and try? Anything she should do first before powering it up? She says she played it many years ago with her friend, but she doesn't know how recently it was used.
-- how much should she be asking for it if it works, and if it doesn't?

Also, if you're interested in buying it, I'll pass on your information (or refer her here). (Don't be scared off by "friend of a friend" ... I met her in person and everything, and she sent me these pics. But I haven't seen the game myself.)

Thanks in advance for any help!

(Here's the IPDB page: http://bit.ly/1CcA49q )

baseball1.jpg baseball2.jpg baseball3.jpg baseball4.jpg baseball5.jpg baseball6.jpg

monty

Jul 30, 2014
Ottawa
hey Phil - i found this little write up (not sure if you've seen it) which further describes the 'Novelty' vs 'Deluxe' versions. like IPDB
it does say no credit unit, but goes on to say that the Novelty version just didn't give out replays/free games? based on the art it looks like your friend's pitch & bat could indeed be the Novelty version (note the little "Deluxe" text on the backglass in the link below).

no idea on price but hope this helps!

http://www.pinrepair.com/baseball/officia.htm

"Game came in both "novelty" (no credit unit) and "deluxe" versions (with a match feature and a credit unit so you could win and accumulate free games). In the home environment it really makes no difference which version you have (since you're playing for free anyway right?) The deluxe version is far more common since only a few states (NY, WI) needed to have a novelty version (no free games)."

110Phil

Jan 27, 2015
Ottawa
Thanks, Monty and Dave and Administrator! I've had a few PMs from people interested in it ... my FOAF is going to power it up on the weekend and she'll go from there. I'll keep everyone posted.

110Phil

Jan 27, 2015
Ottawa
Waiting to hear back from my FOAF. She should be visiting the machine this weekend ... she'll put some credits on it and give it a whirl. Will update when I know more.

110Phil

Jan 27, 2015
Ottawa
My friend can't get the machine started. The coin mechanisms are detached from the door. There are no credits on the machine, and the credit wheel in back is covered by a metal box (so she can't turn it by hand without starting to take stuff apart).

She's interested in having a serviceperson come and put the machine back together, test and fix anything wrong, at which point she'll put it up for sale.

Anyone with recommendations for who to call to service the game, PM me and I'll pass on her e-mail address to arrange a time. The machine is located in Toronto, east of downtown, Parliament/Dundas area.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Normally I would say to give me a call for something like this as I'm pertty close but I'm not up to speed on my EM repair just yet...

D

novaguy

Nov 16, 2012
Fenelon Falls
Would love to work on this game if I was closer.Here's a pic of 2 that I brought back from the dead.
Ted

Attachments

• IMG_1766.JPG
    IMG_1766.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 14

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
My EM repair skills are 'okay'. I'm sure I could get the thing to credit up, that wouldn't be an issue. But if it has anything more serious wrong with it I may be out of my depth.

However, considering I'd be willing to buy it, it may also be a conflict of interest to get it running :D

singlezero

Jul 10, 2014
Orillia ontario
i do believe most here would be able to put credits on it without it being a service call. How the game is after would not be known without further investigation. One approach is for the machine to actually go up for sale with an asking price and potential interested parties would be able to add credits for her if she is uncomfortable with anything in the game. Just a suggestion should noone step forward. The FOAF may also be thinking a price fully functioning and maybe without the expense of repair/parts, thinking what one might be getting an as is bid if they cant do the repairs themselves might be more profitable in the long run. I believe there was already an offer in public of 1500, so im just going to use these numbers as examples but maybe 1000 fully functioning with a service call of 200 or 900 as is , the FOAF is better off seeing best offer as is.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
Crediting it up should be a matter of shorting two wires together at the coin door together. Which ones they would be though, i don't know. If you got a picture of that area for us i bet we could figure it out.

Beyond getting it to coin up though, she's likely looking at a billable service call. It's a roll of the dice what the best option is here

110Phil

Jan 27, 2015
Ottawa
Billable service call is fine ... I'm thinking she'll make up the cost when she sells it. It's more valuable working with an opinion on what's wrong with it, if anything. Especially in that beautiful condition.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
The biggest issue as I see it is how much will the service call really increase the overall value of the game?
Now, a full shop job and replacement of any damaged or missing parts would really shoot the value up.... But that would be a bit excessive and the laws of diminishing returns kicks in unless she can do the work herself.

I'd sell it as-is.... but we've already discussed my aforementioned conflict of interest :)

110Phil

Jan 27, 2015
Ottawa
OK, game is now for sale. Drano has seen the game and sent me a description (I haven't seen it myself).

Game powers up, credits up, and works. The steppers are seized on the scores and outs, but the game plays, the pitcher pitches and the batter bats and the runners move. The backglass has been retouched by paint (lots of paint, Drano reports). Three outfield figures are missing, but the game is otherwise complete. Please ask if you have other condition-related questions, this isn't necessarily complete. Best you see the game, of course.

To give you a decent idea, photos are on this thread. Also, Patti (the owner) has posted three YouTube videos of the game in action, so you can better see the condition:

She's asking $2500 or best offer. Drano has an offer in already. Game is in downtown Toronto.

I will PM everyone who already messaged me, with Patti's e-mail address (contact her directly). Anyone else, PM me and I'll send the contact e-mail to you too.

singlezero

Jul 10, 2014
Orillia ontario
As much as id love to have that game, im going to refrain from bidding. If Drano saw it and gave a bid then im not prepared to pit myself against another from this forum. i do know of the same machine with a better backglass and men complete going for 1800

i hope this marketing strategy works for you GLWTS

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
As much as id love to have that game, im going to refrain from bidding. If Drano saw it and gave a bid then im not prepared to pit myself against another from this forum. i do know of the same machine with a better backglass and men complete going for 1800

i hope this marketing strategy works for you GLWTS

Thank you for the sentiment but I would encourage anyone really interested in this game to submit an offer.

This is part of an estate sale and I think the widow should get what she can for it... regardless of what I'm prepared to pay for it.

If this is a must have game for someone I would just as soon see it go to a good home.

My interest would be primarily in restoring the game. It's not one you see very often and it would be fun to work on.

However, I would realistically keep it around a few months to a year after completion and then let it go. There are other more fun and feature rich P&B games out there so I'd get bored of it fast after the initial joy of the restoration was complete.

To add to the assessment above, the sticky steppers basically prevent the game from scoring runs and outs being counted... so the game just sorta goes on forever. I couldn't test out player 2 because the top of the 1st inning never ended ;)

The game also needs a new bat. It has a home made replacement.
Aside from that it's relatively complete.

A repro glass is available from Shay (I did not inquire about his stock) so plan to spend about $500 after conversion, tax and shipping.
I'm pretty sure reproduction figures were available too. I haven't gone as far as inquiring about availability or cost.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.