• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Help troubleshooting a Goldeneye

Pharoah007

Nov 17, 2012
Ottawa
I am trubleshooting a GoldenEye for a friend of mine and need some help with the following problems...

1-
My buddy had the magnet board re-built. Upon instaling of the magnet PCB...the leds are not lit up (see pic) and there is no magnet function. Before I conclude the Magnet PCB is the culprit, I want to ensure that power is getting to the magnet PCB from the main boards.

Can anyone help me determine which of the wires coming into the magnet PCB I need to probe for power, and what values I should get.

2nd issue...

Game played fine for about 5 - 10 plays...then it started to reset during play. Typical Bridge Rectifier symptoms, game resets as soon as both flippers are pressed.

EDIT.. the game resets a lot more now...I notice the "blanking" led goes off during a reset and all the other leda on all the PCBs stay lit....if that helps

I see 5 BR's on the PCB. Can anyone please tell me which ones I need to replace. I do have some BRs in stock, just hope they are the right ones.

Thanks in advance all.

Z.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
If the blanking LED is going out the issue is coming from the MPU. With the game off remove and reseat the small ribbon cable between the MPU and driver. Then push on every single socketed IC on the MPU, as you may find one or two that are not totally seated in their sockets. Power up and see if that makes a difference. If it's still having a blanking issue, pull each socketed IC and check for tarnished pins, hit with an eraser if required and re-install and power it up.

I just did a service call on a TSPP with a blanking issue, and re-seating all the IC's on the MPU solved the issue.

Oh, as for the voltage, based on the schematics you should be looking for the following voltages on connector J1;

50VDC on pins 1 and 2
9VAC on pin 12
5VDC on pin 14

D.

Pharoah007

Nov 17, 2012
Ottawa
Awesome, thanks.. I will go out and check the chips and cables. This game does have a lot of rust/corrosion so the Rom legs may need a eraser as you say.

As for the voltages you list below...

Menace said:
Oh, as for the voltage, based on the schematics you should be looking for the following voltages on connector J1;

50VDC on pins 1 and 2
9VAC on pin 12
5VDC on pin 14

D.

When I test these voltages...Do I put the NEG lead of the DMM on the ground braid and the POS on the pin being tested?

Also, I guess I just look for the same colour wires going into the Magnet PCB to test the incoming voltages to the Magnet PCB ??

Thanks.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
You could always use the round strap or any of the 3 ground pins on the J1 connector, and the j1 connector I'm talking about should be the large connector on the magnet PCB.

I would also check the diodes on the magnet PCB to make sure none of them have gone open.

D

Pharoah007

Nov 17, 2012
Ottawa
Voltages look good...aside from the 5VDC being up at 7VDC ?

Reset the cables and pushed on all the chops...no joy.

I am throwing in the towel for today...Will test all diodes tomorrow or Mon.

Thanks for the help!

Pharoah007

Nov 17, 2012
Ottawa
well I solved the reset issue...

I was checking all the fuzes and found a few over fused. I also notices a lot of corrosion on the fuses and fuse holders, so I put in all brand new fuses of the correct value, problem fixed :)

Now I need to rebuild the magnet board.... any usual suspects I should look for?

I plan on replacing the diodes and transistors.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Glad you got the reset sorted. If the diodes and transistors are testing fine I wouldn't bother replacing them. My concern would be a failed PIC chip. If thats toast, I'm afraid the board is now a paperweight.

D

Pharoah007

Nov 17, 2012
Ottawa
Menace said:
Glad you got the reset sorted. If the diodes and transistors are testing fine I wouldn't bother replacing them. My concern would be a failed PIC chip. If thats toast, I'm afraid the board is now a paperweight.

D

My skills are more in the fixing/replacing area and not the testing when it comes to PCBs

How do I test the diodes and transistors?

IIRC, you must cut one end of a diode free of the PCB to test it....so you might as well replace it.

Can the PIC chip be tested with a DMM?

Z.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Pharoah007 said:
How do I test the diodes and transistors?
Using your dmm in diode / beep setting. For 400x series diodes you should see .4 to .6 one way with a short beep and nothing the other. Transistors depends on the part...

Pharoah007 said:
IIRC, you must cut one end of a diode free of the PCB to test it....so you might as well replace it.
No this is not always the case, it depends on the circuit.

Pharoah007 said:
the PIC chip be tested with a DMM?
Unfortunately no. I do not know of a way to test a pic.

D

Pharoah007

Nov 17, 2012
Ottawa
Can these PIC chips be bought?

If they are cheap, I will order one and throw it in the PCB.... nothing to loose.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Pharoah007 said:
Can these PIC chips be bought?

If they are cheap, I will order one and throw it in the PCB.... nothing to loose.

No, PIC chips are pre-programmed by the OEM and are unable to be copied, hence my comment about the PCB being a paperweight if the PIC is bad. (I do not know if Stern has replacements available or not)

D

Pharoah007

Nov 17, 2012
Ottawa
Good news for Golden Eye owners....

Stern can program new PIC chips and ship them to a distributer for purchase :)

The only canadian Distributer they list is

Starburst Coin Mach.
Toronto
416-251-2122

I will give em a call for pricing.

toguko

Aug 15, 2014
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Hello, I´m sign Up just to reply this post and say, THANK YOU !!!!

I´m from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and I have one 007 GoldenEye with the same error, the pinball does not turn on most of time, just stay with all lights on and nothing happing, and also the resets during play, I will try to solve this problem with the @Menace advice.

I will know your country (Canada) in November for the first time, I go to Toronto for 1 month to do a English course to improve my English.

Best, Rafael "Toguko"