• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Help why can't I get the right flipper to run strong its new?

VA3AVP

Dec 22, 2013
BelleRiver
Hi Guys I put as flipper rebuild kit in my whirlwind from Marco and two new pinscore coils the left went smooth the right one did not have the capacitor for some reason . My auxiliary power board is a modern upgrade from Kohout with modern LED lights to show me all my fuse status. I can't seem to get the right flipper to move fast no matter what I try I check all the voltages with my DMM and they seem to match the left side. The other right hand flipper up the machine works fine (did not rebuild this one going to leave it) it is my understanding the front right flipper feeds power to the main right?

I have no idea what is going on everyonce in awhile it will move fast then blow the 50 volt F5 fuse so I removed the capacitor again or now and am trying to figure it out! This was supposed to be simple. any suggestions>?

please view and share your thoughts thank you thank you thank you

Thank You
David

mitch_a

Mar 2, 2014
Bamberg Ontario
Your EOS switch must be closed to get full power to the flipper but must open when flipper is fully engaged or it will blow the fuse. If you have the eos open your coil will be weak.

If you want to message me your phone number i can call you and try to explain better if you need it.

Mitch

Reactions: DRANO

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Hey David.. I think Mitch may have it.

EOS stand for End of Stroke.
The flipper needs high power to make normal shot's around the playfield. However, sometimes you need to hold the flipper up to cradle the ball(s). If this operation was done also with high power your coil and circuit would burn out pretty quickly.
The End Of Stroke is designed to tell the game when the flipper has reached the top of its stroke and this allows the game to switch the coil over to "hold power".

Poorly adjusted EOS switches are the main issue with most flipper problems.

As Mitch said, the switch needs to be making good contact when the flipper is at rest and the flipper pawl should only make contact with it very near to the end of its travel. At fully open the gap should be roughly 1/8".

As for the flipper shaft slipping in the pawl, you just have to tighten it a little more. Try not to go crazy as you can actually deform the metal to the point where it gets misshaped and it loses contact and grip.

Good luck and let us know if that sorts out your issues?

Reactions: dnewman

VA3AVP

Dec 22, 2013
BelleRiver
Your EOS switch must be closed to get full power to the flipper but must open when flipper is fully engaged or it will blow the fuse. If you have the eos open your coil will be weak.

If you want to message me your phone number i can call you and try to explain better if you need it.

Mitch
Thanks Mitch send me a private message I would appreciate talking to you later would love to give you a call. I will look at the switch again later today but had to leave it alone for awhile my blood pressure was getting a little high lol thought this would be simple. I appreciate all the help.

David Pemberton BelleRiver, Ontario Canada

dnewman

Oct 29, 2013
Newmarket
With respect to the flipper slipping in the pawl, check to see if the pawl has fixed bolt (so that it can't rotate) or if it's just an Allen bolt. Sometimes, with the Allen bolt, you can be tightening the nut, but unless you're holding the bolt with an Allen key, the tightening of the nut is just rotating the bolt and nothing is actually tightening. Keep in mind what Drano said about over-tightening though, as if you've crushed the clamp down too much, you'll have to replace the pawl. Once that metal is weakened, it will never hold the flipper bat properly.

Do you have the manual for the game? If not, you can get it off IPDB, and it should show the correct wiring to the lugs on the flipper coil.

VA3AVP

Dec 22, 2013
BelleRiver
With respect to the flipper slipping in the pawl, check to see if the pawl has fixed bolt (so that it can't rotate) or if it's just an Allen bolt. Sometimes, with the Allen bolt, you can be tightening the nut, but unless you're holding the bolt with an Allen key, the tightening of the nut is just rotating the bolt and nothing is actually tightening. Keep in mind what Drano said about over-tightening though, as if you've crushed the clamp down too much, you'll have to replace the pawl. Once that metal is weakened, it will never hold the flipper bat properly.

Do you have the manual for the game? If not, you can get it off IPDB, and it should show the correct wiring to the lugs on the flipper coil.
Ok thank you I am at a loss still cant get the flipper to run proper strength I just checked the two wires again I have 164 volts on both wires and that is same amount of voltage I have on the wires going to the left flipper that is running fine do those voltage numbers sound close that's just in test mode not pushing flipper button. I have another coil coming

VA3AVP

Dec 22, 2013
BelleRiver
Hey David.. I think Mitch may have it.

EOS stand for End of Stroke.
The flipper needs high power to make normal shot's around the playfield. However, sometimes you need to hold the flipper up to cradle the ball(s). If this operation was done also with high power your coil and circuit would burn out pretty quickly.
The End Of Stroke is designed to tell the game when the flipper has reached the top of its stroke and this allows the game to switch the coil over to "hold power".

Poorly adjusted EOS switches are the main issue with most flipper problems.

As Mitch said, the switch needs to be making good contact when the flipper is at rest and the flipper pawl should only make contact with it very near to the end of its travel. At fully open the gap should be roughly 1/8".

As for the flipper shaft slipping in the pawl, you just have to tighten it a little more. Try not to go crazy as you can actually deform the metal to the point where it gets misshaped and it loses contact and grip.

Good luck and let us know if that sorts out your issues?
Ok thank you I am at a loss still cant get the flipper to run proper strength I just checked the two wires again I have 164 volts on both wires and that is same amount of voltage I have on the wires going to the left flipper that is running fine do those voltage numbers sound close that's just in test mode not pushing flipper button. I have another coil coming

VA3AVP

Dec 22, 2013
BelleRiver

Mitch
Ok thank you I am at a loss still cant get the flipper to run proper strength I just checked the two wires again I have 164 volts on both wires and that is same amount of voltage I have on the wires going to the left flipper that is running fine do those voltage numbers sound close that's just in test mode not pushing flipper button. I have another coil coming and will check Eos switch again will see whats going on tonight and send you my phone if I cant get it sorted out thanks Mitch (my EOS switch is most likely the problem then I removed it for more testing guess I better put it back!!!)