• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

How Cineplex lost me as a customer...

Do you find that Cineplex's takeover from Starburst has been good for the customer?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Slam_Tilt

Nov 20, 2012
Brampton
I think everyone is forgetting that SB probably does not see the individual hobbyist (the guy who wants to swing by on Saturday) as their client.
They are an operator... the largest in Canada and also the only distributor for other operators and re-sellers. It's a monopoly and they know it. I seriously don't think they care one iota about the individual pinhead collectors that want to come in and buy the occasional game. It's all about volume; we are an inconvenience. Anyone who deals B to B and not B to C is generally closed on weekends. THAT'S the model they are obviously following here.

But hasn't that changed? There are a ton more hobbyist buying machines than operators. These days I cannot believe they make more money from operators. Maybe for redemption machines, and if that is their core business now, then I can see it. But times have changed and the day of the operator is almost gone.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
But hasn't that changed? There are a ton more hobbyist buying machines than operators. These days I cannot believe they make more money from operators. Maybe for redemption machines, and if that is their core business now, then I can see it. But times have changed and the day of the operator is almost gone.

They run every single arcade in every single Cineplex and Famous Players movie theater, that alone dwarfs anything the collector community could even attempt to bring in revenue wise.

It is the #1 reason why Cineplex bought playdium in the first place.

My money is on this is the first step in the process to phase out dealing with the public all together and go straight business to business only

Slam_Tilt

Nov 20, 2012
Brampton
They run every single arcade in every single Cineplex and Famous Players movie theater, that alone dwarfs anything the collector community could even attempt to bring in revenue wise.

It is the #1 reason why Cineplex bought playdium in the first place.

My money is on this is the first step in the process to phase out dealing with the public all together and go straight business to business only

Then I guess they will get out of selling pinball. I don't know about other areas but the three big cineplex's around where I live only have redemption games.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Then I guess they will get out of selling pinball. I don't know about other areas but the three big cineplex's around where I live only have redemption games.
Doubtful

They still have a monopoly

They will just work through resellers like Nitro and Pinball Outlet

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
If I *EVER* purchase a NIB game, it'll be through a US outlet regardless of the extra work it would take. I'm not interested in supporting their monopoly, or their business practices and I'd end up paying less even after taxes! They clearly don't care about my business so why should I care about theirs?

D

SuperPinball

Feb 3, 2015
Richmond Hill
If I *EVER* purchase a NIB game, it'll be through a US outlet regardless of the extra work it would take. I'm not interested in supporting their monopoly, or their business practices and I'd end up paying less even after taxes! They clearly don't care about my business so why should I care about theirs?

I wonder if there is a place in Buffalo that sells Pinball Machines, may be worth the drive.

Reactions: dnewman

staydown

Jan 31, 2017
Niagara region
We have bought 2 nib sterns and also an arcade legends 3 from playdium store and we noticed the last time we talked to them regarding a GB pro they were less concerned about the sale and working with us.

If anyone has connections with a us distributor I am only 20 mins to buffalo... how many games can fit in a minivan?

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
We have bought 2 nib sterns and also an arcade legends 3 from playdium store and we noticed the last time we talked to them regarding a GB pro they were less concerned about the sale and working with us.

If anyone has connections with a us distributor I am only 20 mins to buffalo... how many games can fit in a minivan?
Lots of us distros will ship free to buff/Niagara.

In fact, might be talking to one soon regarding warranty items. Stern tech support "understands"

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
I agree with the comments above, re: the individual hobbiest. It seems Starburst isn't concerned with your small order of LED bulbs, $30 worth of rubbers or twelve star posts (two of which will be returned for a refund). If they were concerned, they'd make it more convenient for online shopping and in-store pickup.

I've bought from the Toronto location a handful of times. While Doug and the gang were personable, it was more of a country club atmosphere at the parts desk. And the prices are nothing to write home about (I've heard the flipper rebuild kits are outrageously expensive, and you are definately better off ordering direct from PBR than having SB order it for you).

I can't speak to NIB purchasing as I've not experienced that aspect of SB's business model...but going south of the border for NIB games is definately "trending" in our community.

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
People forget that Pinball and Amusements Distribution doesn't have it's roots in "respectable" business practice (I should know, my uncle was a distributor on the West Coast in the 70's and 80's). It was all about selling gambling devices and cigarette machines and skirting the location laws, trips to Vegas and Nevada, shady locations, cash business (with lots of coin skimming), low-wage employees and dealing with shady bars and bad business deals. My uncle was reportedly involved with the mob.

Just because distributors started to focus a side venture selling pinballs to the general public (Gen Y types) in the last decade doesn't mean that the people behind the business sector have changed all that much.

In my dealings with amusement vendors and distributors in Ontario, Quebec and B.C. (and I certainly haven't dealt with all of them) they seemed a bit on the shady side at the best of times.

Reactions: spiroagnew

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
It's pretty sad really. If they embraced the local collector community... perhaps even stepping up to host events and ditching these online auctions in favour of going back to their original format, they would be doing a great service to the hobby... which in turn benefits the entire coin op business in Canada as a whole.
I guess when you're only dealing in dollars and cents, these nuanced 'benefits' are lost on you.

tkaye

Mar 17, 2013
Ancaster, On
Shame they don't follow this forum like distros in the US follow Pinside. Then they could read this feedback themselves to better understand their true customer base opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: spiroagnew

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Shame they don't follow this forum like distros in the US follow Pinside. Then they could read this feedback themselves to better understand their true customer base opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Distributors is the US have competition.

Playdium doesn't.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
probably because playdium negotiated an all Canada distribution territory

Exactly

Playdium negotiated an exclusive contract with Stern Pinball for exclusive distribution rights across all of Canada.

No one else in Canada can do their volume so from a business standpoint, I'm sure Stern is much happier dealing with one Company for any entire country rather than several.

When you have a Monopoly the little guy doesn't matter even a little bit.

Reactions: quarter grabber