• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

How do I remove this clip?

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
Simple question, how do I remove it?

I don't want to break it by mistake. It doesnt seem to slide at all, so Im wondering if there is a proper way or just pry it? The plastic is cracked and needs replacing (as can be seen in the picture) so I dont mind if it scratches it up a bit.

Thanks for the help!

Pic:

vdo9zb.jpg

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
That's an e-clip and you can just use a small flat head screwdriver to gently pry it straight up. Putting it back in is usually harder ;)

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Provided you haven't already shot it somewhere across the room, make sure you put one hand over the top of it because they can go soaring :cool:

thewebexpert

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Almonte, Ontario
I find small needle nose pliers the best, that way it does not fly all over the room, or get dropped. :) But I am over carefull since I aways drop crap in the machine ... I now drape sheets over the box when I am working on the underside of the playfield ... because if it can fall off, it will on me!!!

tom_454

Nov 28, 2012
Ottawa
Do youirself a favour and buy yourself a pair of snap-ring removal pliers. They are cheap and will save you from "taking your eye out" :) and endless hours of searching when one flies off. They are golden and are designed precisely for this job.

TwilightZone

Nov 25, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Never seen one of those tools before Tom. How exactly does it work. Do you just clip the pliers to the c clip? Wondering how they are better than needle nose pliers.

Thanks,
Duane

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Small needle nose pliers are definitely the way to go. Sure, you can get the specialized pliers for this application only, but not really necessary. If you can get one of the tips under the E-clip and another on top, they just pop off. Otherwise, use a big pair of pliers and just grab it tight on the flat edge and pull.

I put them back on pretty much the same way; holding it tight with the pliers and just applying a little downward pressure with my other hand.
Nothing to it.

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont
You can also use a small flatblade to pop it off. Put your thumb on top of the e clip and pry up gently (I usually find that just giving the screwdriver a slight twist does the trick) and it will pop off the shaft but stay in the groove because of the pressure from your thumb. Reinstall using needle nose pliers or just your fingers, depending on the clip.

Monkeybug

Nov 14, 2012
Stouffville, ON
I had a friend once tell me their were called Jesus-Clips.

Because when you pulled one off, and it flew across the room, you would say... "Jesus, where did that go?"

He wasn't far from the truth.