• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

how many machines on 15amp circuit?

nics135

Nov 15, 2012
Janetville,ON
How much power does a new Stern draw? Is it different from a wedgehead?

Laying out circuits and wondered how many machines per circuit.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I'd say no more than 3-4 per 15a circuit.
I think EMs are more. Like 5-6 should be okay. But that's just coming from memory and what others have told me.

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
Two games and my home entertainment centre are unfortunately on the same circuit. It pops occasionally. Definitely something I'd like to change

Beafraid

Dec 13, 2012
Maple
I went with three pins per circuit in my basement. Before it was done I had 4 pins and two video games in my den and had them all going with no problems.

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
My rule of thumb:
- 3 WMS or 4 newer Stern games per 15 amp circuit
- 5 EMs/SSs per 15A circuit.
- keep games off of circuits that have devices with large motors, e.g. big fridge or deep freezer where motor surge can spike current draw
- I think newer Sterns are more tolerant of resets in general.

Obvious but worth mentioning, the limit implies support for this many games running full out at once, each demanding full power (i.e. in multiball, lots of coils, magnets used). You can easily have no issue with more games per circuit all running at the same time. It really depends on how much power each game/device is demanding at any given time.

My setup, each on a 15A circuit:
A. 3 DMD WMS
B. 3 DMD Sterns + 1 ext sub + 1 EM
C. 2 SS + 1 EM + 1 DMD Stern + 2 TVs and a small bar fridge.
D. 1 EM + 1 DMD Stern

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Finding this thread helpful...basement reno starts after the Xmas holidays, and it will be good information to refer to. I'll probably stick with three per 15A to be safe, as it seems to be the consensus. My collection is at a spot now where I have to worry about such things...and also prepare for future expansion.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
spiroagnew said:
Finding this thread helpful...basement reno starts after the Xmas holidays, and it will be good information to refer to. I'll probably stick with three per 15A to be safe, as it seems to be the consensus. My collection is at a spot now where I have to worry about such things...and also prepare for future expansion.

Consider upgrading the panel to 200amp (if it isn't already) and run yourself a new line for every 4 games you ever plan to have... with a 4 outlet box of course.
You'll never have any issues.

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
DRANO said:
Consider upgrading the panel to 200amp (if it isn't already) and run yourself a new line for every 4 games you ever plan to have... with a 4 outlet box of course.
You'll never have any issues.

Right on. I did this earlier this summer. I had an electrician install a 200 amp panel since my old one was full. I then ran two lines for two new 4 gang plugs (15A + 15A) saving some cash doing it myself.

Decided to get whole home surge protection added to the panel while at it. http://www.pinballrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1204&p=11758&hilit=surge+protection#p11758