• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

How to Load and Unload a Machine

Rockin

Jan 19, 2016
Caledon ON
I'm hoping to be buying soon. Do you need two people to load/unload a machine? How heavy are they? What is the best method to load and unload the machine from your vehicle? In my case I have a pickup, so clearance is not an issue.

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
It can be done solo, but with that said, it's always easier with an extra set of hands and muscle. I see you are in Caledon, I'm happy to lend a hand if you aren't going too far from home.

Shoot me a pm if you need.

Do you know the basics of leg removal and head folding (removal if older machine)?

Rockin

Jan 19, 2016
Caledon ON
Thanks for the offer, I just might take you up on it.

No, I'm a total noob, so any and all advice on moving a pin is appreciated.

dnewman

Oct 29, 2013
Newmarket
Depending on the pin, and assuming all parts are there:

1. Unplug the machine, and feed the power cord back into the body of the cabinet (depending on the fitting)

2. Open the coindoor, unlatch the lockdown bar, and remove the playfield glass. The playfield glass should be tempered or safety glass, so be careful when setting it aside on it's edge so it doesn't shatter. Remove the pinballs, coinbox, and anything else that is loose inside the cabinet. Leaving the pinballs loose in a machine when transporting it could break plastics as they roll and fly around. Replace the playfield glass, lockdown bar, lock the coin door, and put all the keys, pinballs, etc. in the coin box for transport.

3. Make sure the backbox latch is set (at the rear of the machine) so the backbox doesn't fall down accidentally.
Lift out the backglass (the key for the backglass is often hanging on the inside of the coin door), and set it aside so it doesn't get broken. Lift out the speaker panel. Undo the head bolts (inside the bottom of the backbox), and put them in the coinbox. Replace the speaker panel and backglass, locking it, and put the keys either back on the hook on the inside of the coin door, or in the coinbox for transport with everything else. If you care about your floors, take the time to remove the backbox latch and put it and the hex screws in the coinbox.

4. Place a sheet of cardboard or foam on the playfield glass, and carefully tilt and lower the backbox down on to the main cabinet. I like to strap the head down, and put cardboard under the strap at the corners so the strap doesn't rub the paint. If you use a strap, don't reef it too tight - just snug enough that it won't move. Now is a good time shrinkwrap the whole machine for protection against damage while moving the pin through narrow doors and stairwells. If you don't use a strap to secure the backbox, a good 5 or 6 passes of shrinkwrap should secure the backbox.

5. Remove the rear legs first, and lower the rear to the ground. Tilt the whole machine up on to its back, and remove the front legs. Put the leg bolts in the coinbox. If you use a two wheel dolly, leave the pin on it's back and strap the dolly to the pin.

6. Once it's at your vehicle, I like to load them with the coinbox towards the front of the front of the vehicle. Use cardboard or a moving blanket to protect your bumper and interior from scratches. Pins are heavy. While it's possible to load them on your own, I don't think it's worth the risk of damage to myself or the pin, and I get a buddy to help out. Ensure that nothing in the back of your vehicle could slide around and damage the pin while in transit (eg. your dolly, the legs, etc.).

7. Check to make sure you have all the legs, bolts, manual, and other parts before you leave the seller's house.

At your house, you just do it all in reverse. If you didn't use a strap, remember that when you cut the shrinkwrap off, the backbox could fall if the pin is on it's back. Give the game a good cleaning and wax the playfield. Get your level and inclinometer out on the playfield (glass off), and adjust the leg levellers until the game's dialed-in and ready to play.

There are many far more experienced pin movers than myself, so if I've left anything out, or there are other tips, I'd love to hear them too!

Last edited:

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
dnewman covered what you need to do in order to breakdown a pinball before moving pretty well above. He mentions using a moving blanket or cardboard to protect your bumper. I would recommend getting a big piece of cardboard from an appliance box that can cover the entire foot print of the machine. Align that under the machine before you tilt and push into the bed of your pick up. This way you keep the bottom edges of your cabinet protected from potentially get caught on anything and taking a chunk out like this

18226582434_b4ae3e54ca_c.jpg

Also don't skimp out and do a few more extra layers of shrink wrap and I usually do anywhere from 8-10 layers. I know some people just wrap the middle only to keep the head secured but I like to do end to end protection because the corners is what usually gets caught on stuff when moving.

11678344024_145b946743_c.jpg

Shrink wrap is $15-30/roll depending where you buy it from and should be good to do 6-8 machines depending how much you put on each time. Buying reproduction decals and paying a professional to do the cab preparation and application can run > $500 easy. If you need some shrink wrap feel free to stop by my work in Vaughan (Hwy 7/Weston) as we go through tons of it in the back warehouse. I can probably give you a small used roll with plenty leftover to do one pinball machine.

Since you have a pick up truck you could probably load and unload yourself easily but never hurts to have someone around to help in case you lose your grip or machine loses balance. Perhaps you have an awesome and understanding brother in-law like me (shown above flipping the bird) to help you move? I heard beer works with friends too but maybe not so much the next time after they realize how friggin' heavy a pinball machine is. The real question is are you moving this pin up or down a flight of stairs when you get home?

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
If it's an older machine (pre Sys9/11) the head will have to be removed from the game (unless it's a Zaccaria), which means you will have to disconnect a bunch of wire harnesses from the PCB's in the head and maybe in the lower cab (again depending on the era / title). Bring a sharpie and just write the connector designation on the connector.

Usually there are 2 connectors on the MPU that have to come off (PCB in upper left of the head, the two connectors on the right side), the driver (PCB in the upper right of the head, the upper left, lower left and lower right connectors have to come off), the lamp PCB (lower left corner of the head, the two connectors on the right) and then the power supply PCB which could be in the lower right of the head or the lower cabinet. There could be a couple more connectors mid harness around the bottom of the head, basically you need to make sure all of the wires from the head to the lower cabinet are separated before you unbolt the head from the lower cabinet. (there will be up to 4x 9/16" bolts in there)

Legs bolts are either 9/16" for the older games (unless they have been replaced with newer style bolts) and the newer games are usually 5/8".

Let us know if you have any other questions. Whatever you do, DO NOT transport the game with the head attached or in the upright position! (or on legs but to a lesser degree)

D

Last edited:

Rockin

Jan 19, 2016
Caledon ON
Thank You everyone for your responses, they are very informative. I was finding bits and pieces on various threads about moving a pin. Having it all set out in one place will make it a lot easier to be prepared. Please feel free to add any other suggestions.

mwong168, to answer your question, the pin will most likely be going upstairs to the empty fourth bedroom, until I get the basement at least partially finished which could take a couple of years....... so buying my 6'2 nephew a few beers might be a good plan.

Last edited:

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Not much else to add, other than to reiterate that you need to be careful sliding a game in and out of your car. In a pickup, you're probably a little safer, but I've found that it's really easy to get caught up on stuff. The big piece of cardboard idea isn't bad. The other thing you can do is use some bits of heavy cardboard tube, pipes, or something else as rollers if you're really having a hard time.

Always better to have help too. Even with a dolly, having someone on the other end to help go up/down stairs gently is always useful.

Reactions: dnewman

dnewman

Oct 29, 2013
Newmarket
The other thing you can do is use some bits of heavy cardboard tube, pipes, or something else as rollers if you're really having a hard time.

This is a great way of getting a pin in and out of your vehicle! Loading is so much easier than walking it in. Just make sure you remove the rollers before you start driving, as if they are left under the pin, the pin becomes the very definition of a 'loose cannon' and will undoubtedly get damaged rolling back and forth with the movement of the vehicle.

Rascal

Sep 20, 2015
nova scotia, canada
I had one delivered from out of province and requested a truck with a drop tailgate and when it showed up for unloading there was none, just a 5 ft drop from the back of the truck. Did the only thing possible to save my back, told the wife to go get her tractor and it came off the truck and to the house in the loader bucket of her Kioti DK45. Precious moments.
Great packing is the answer. Saves alot of damage.

Reactions: luch

luch

Nov 18, 2012
Newmarket
www.topl.ca
I had one delivered from out of province and requested a truck with a drop tailgate and when it showed up for unloading there was none, just a 5 ft drop from the back of the truck. Did the only thing possible to save my back, told the wife to go get her tractor and it came off the truck and to the house in the loader bucket of her Kioti DK45. Precious moments.
Great packing is the answer. Saves alot of damage.
Your wife has a tractor ! Does she have a sister?

Rascal

Sep 20, 2015
nova scotia, canada
$_27.JPG
Your wife has a tractor ! Does she have a sister?
Actually she has two. 1964 Massy and her 2010 Kioti. She is is only little, maybe 5' tall but she is big when she is pushing the snow around the shop. Her old one is an antique, but the new one is like a car, it has A/C and CD deck. I just bought it last year.
Sorry no sisters.