• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

HOW TO REDUCE PHOTO SIZE FOR THE WEB

tim.sanderson

Before I upload any photos to the web (my site, Pinball Revolution, FaceBook etc) I like to reduce the file size. This makes downloading/viewing the image faster for everyone, not to mention is a little easier on the pocket books for guys that run the sites like this. (bandwidth usually equals $$$) This is how you can do it to. For basic editing/cropping/resizing I swear by an open source program called Paint.net. It opens way faster than something like PhotoShop, and has way better features than something like MS Paint.

1) I’ve uploaded a portable version of the open source program Paint.net to my space. You can get it here:
http://tim.stasis.org/www-sites/PinRev/
Create a folder anywhere on your computer, and call it paint.net. Extract the executable into your folder.

2) Open Paint.net, and then open the photo you want to resize.

3) Click on the IMAGE drop down on the top of the program, and select RESIZE. Change pixels to the size you want. (the less pixels you make it, the smaller the file will be)
I usually make the longest side of the image 1000 pixels.

4) Save your photo as a jpeg. Add some compression. I usually try to keep it at 80% to 85%. If you compress it too much you will really start to notice a loss in image quality.

As an example I’ll use a photo I took. I’ll reduce the image from 4272 x 2848 pixels to 1000 x 667 pixels, and save the image with 80% compression.
  • - Original = 4,211 kb
    - Reduced copy = 92 kb

The file size is now 50 times smaller than the original. Your photo is small enough to upload onto forums, email etc!

I don't know how long I'll leave those files on my server, but I'll leave them there for at least a few weeks. If you find that by the time you get around to trying this out the files are off of my site, just search PAINT.NET, and you'll find it. :)

g-man

Nov 19, 2012
Brampton / Caledon
That's interesting. Thanks Tim.

I can't tell the difference between the two TZ pics.

I have been using Irfanview at home, but it's not that great. I might give this a go.

thewebexpert

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Almonte, Ontario
If you want something a bit more integrated in windows, and "light" I use http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/ when I do not use photoshop.

This is simple. Right Click on a bunch of files, and hit RESIZE, it will allow you to pick any size, and has some good advanced tweaks. it is opensource and adfree.

Derek

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
My problem is the opposite, I find the iPad camera is crappy and outta focus. So I'm snapping pics on my phone, emailing to myself then uploading on the ipad. To have good quality pics.

Buti guess if I used my digital camera, the pics would be huge