• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

HOW TO?: wire ramps cleaning?

yellowmustard

Nov 17, 2012
hi guys,
i m just wondering what can i use to try to refresh my shadow wire ramps...
what is the material they are made with??? brass plating?
i wanna try to save them before powdercoat or replate them...

thanks for your suggestions.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
The plating that comes on stock wireforms is pretty shitty. If you wanna make them shiny chrome again you can use Brasso. I tried it on my TOTAN main wireform when I had it out and good thing I noticed before I went too far and stopped. I am planning to send a bunch or wireforms off for gold/brass ating so if you want give yours to Warlock and I can include them in my batch.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
For High-end brass and chrome restore projects, Mike Chesnut in Tennessee is the best.
Only if you want to keep that pin forever though David. Lots of alternatives. All the best.

Drano's, Wong's and my parts go to Chesnut for things like wireforms and divertors on Shadow,
TOM, TOTAN, etc.

Adriano and I have met Mike Chesnut. Great human being. Top shelf restore person. Not cheap.
You get what you pay for. I am ok with that.

Lesser projects we can source locally. Not for Shadow, TOM, TOTAN, STTNG, and IJ though.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I agrree with Scott.
If I'm going to be staring at it, I want it to be Chestnut.

I've found and used a decent local place, but now I'll only use them for anything underneath the playfield and inside the cabinet.
Their work is not of the quality I would want for the upper playfield.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Menace said this local place should be fine for wire forms and I saw the finish on the IJ wireforms he had done for a customer's game. However for more specialty parts like Demo Man handles, Fishtales caster or a Shadow gun I would send out to Chestnut. He has done enough of these over the years and is a collector himself so knows what prep work is required for the perfect finish. I've seen some DM handles done and you can still see the wear marks left from the palm of your hands under the new finish.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I don't know.
I still think it's a crap shoot.

Doug said there was noticeable 'running' on the IJ wireforms.
When I first found those guys I gave them my IJ wirforms too and they were fine, but other stuff was not done to the same level. I think I just got lucky is all.

The fact that the can't do stainless (rails and lockbar) is also a big annoyance.
I'm sure that if I looked harder, I could find a better local supplier, but I don't have time for that right now.