• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

I forgot how much the general public sucks at pinball

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
So my wife's Christmas party was last night and she asked if she could borrow one of my machines for the event.

I was happy to oblige and since her theme was Japanese game shows (she had an entire blow up obstacle course brought in) she wanted to use the Godillza

Premise being everyone would receive a ticket every time they hit a replay. (Tickets were use for a raffle for prizes) Players in the Top 10 scores got 10 tickets each.

Anyway I figured I would set the replay value at a nice low score of about 35 million, figuring that is just a down right terrible score for this machine considering my high score was somewhere around 800 - 900 million before I reset it.

Man was I wrong on that end, the person handing out tickets said barely anyone was reaching the 35 million mark.

I had to set the value all the way down to 10 million just to make it a reasonably easy thing to accomplish.

It's been a VERY long time for me since I've actually played with people who don't understand pinball in the slightest, adults just sitting their chimping on the flippers like you would expect a 3 year old to do.

I couldn't bring myself to crush them all as I didn't feel that would be fair so I just let everyone enjoy the game in the ignorant bliss that they thought they were actually doing well :lol:

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Yup, it's pretty sad sometimes. At least some people in my family have caught on, but some still have no idea what's happening, doing things like hitting both flippers at once, and not even knowing where the ball is. Lots of times when I have people over, I'll invariably end up with a credit dot on something at the end of the night because some switch hasn't been hit in a bunch of games, just because of people bashing away at a game and not hitting much. Still, as long as they're having fun, who cares, right?

Should have taken in JM. People would be getting scores in the hundreds of millions and feeling awesome about themselves :)

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I wanted to bring Jackbot as it's already at my office so it would have been an easier move, but she specifically wanted Godzilla.

Looking back now don't think it's the best pick as it was obvious you need at least a general grasp on how to play pinball to do anything on that game.

Explains why so few were made I guess.

Chris Bardon said:
Should have taken in JM. People would be getting scores in the hundreds of millions and feeling awesome about themselves :)

necro_nemesis

Nov 20, 2012
Newmarket, Ontario. Canada
Throwing in a couple of casual play titles is something to be considered when you build a collection to partly cater to your non-enthusiast friends. Likely if you took the stats on top earning pins it would include games that require limited skills to unlock achievements. I just look at the ease of unlocking multiball on the newer games where on some older games, which came out I argue when more people knew how to play; multiball was brutal to achieve and lasted about a millisecond without ball save.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
necro_nemesis said:
Throwing in a couple of casual play titles is something to be considered when you build a collection to partly cater to your non-enthusiast friends.

Thankfully I don't have any of "those" types of friends :mrgreen:

TwilightZone

Nov 25, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Vengeance said:
Looking back now don't think it's the best pick as it was obvious you need at least a general grasp on how to play pinball to do anything on that game.

That's exactly what I thought when I read your post. With Godzilla, as you pointed out when I was at your place, you need to stack the MBs to get a decent score. Not a gimme game.

Out of your collection, not sure what I would have brought. Don't think any of your games are easy. Even NF, which gets a bad rap for being easy, is a bitch for a newb. They do nothing but hit posts.

Duane

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
Had my extended family over on Saturday. My 4 yr old has developed a strange fear of loud noises, especîally the knockers.

After watching them play for a bit, I was able to assure her that no extra credits would be won or high scores set.