• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

iPhone Pinball Machine Leveling App

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
REVOLUTION said:
That's all great, but you have to "zero out" your phone on something absolutely level to get these things to work.

isn't all that matters is the floor? since the machine will be on the same floor? You want 6.5 degrees pitch. so if the floor is already slightly pitched, then you zero to that and pitch the machine to 6.5. makes sense to me.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
frolic said:
isn't all that matters is the floor? since the machine will be on the same floor? You want 6.5 degrees pitch. so if the floor is already slightly pitched, then you zero to that and pitch the machine to 6.5. makes sense to me.

If you used this app and pitched to 6.5º on an unlevel floor, your PF wouldn't be a true 6.5º. It would be 6.5º +/- whatever your floor is pitched at.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
frolic said:
REVOLUTION said:
That's all great, but you have to "zero out" your phone on something absolutely level to get these things to work.

When using any phone level app, you must calibrate it on a confirmed 100% level surface prior to using it on ANYTHING / ANYWHERE /ANYTIME.

Chris, if you do what you suggest your game will always be off by whatever the pitch of the floor the game is standing on. For instance, if the floor the game is on has a pitch of +1 degree and you calibrate your phone to that as being "level", then pitch your game to 6.5 degrees your game will be off by 1 degree and will actually have a pitch of 7.5 degrees.

D

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
But I'm cheap and the bubble level app is free. I have a nice big bubble level at home I can use to calibrate, but hauling that same bubble level around on service calls not to mention using in a game is a bitch. :)

D

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
You guys are missing the most important part which is make sure you are running latest version of iTunes (which is 11.1.3) and don't forget to wear one of these to help fend off all the RDF while trying to level your pin with this app.

large_woman_tin_foil_hat.jpg

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I'm sure each ring on that level represents a pre-determined angle. Find whatever 6.5 is and mark it with a sharpie, and you can level side to side and set the correct pitch at the same time and you're good to go. (or just use one of the free phone apps... lol)

D

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Menace said:
I'm sure each ring on that level represents a pre-determined angle. Find whatever 6.5 is and mark it with a sharpie, and you can level side to side and set the correct pitch at the same time and you're good to go. (or just use one of the free phone apps... lol)

D

I don't trust digital levels, with digital the level is only as accurate as the sensor and given it's a phone not meant to actually level anything I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it.

Bubble levels are physics, I'll take that over my android or even the CDN tire digital level any day of the week.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Vengeance said:
My biggest issue with straight levels is finding a straight line to level off of.

Easy. Left to right level can be done outside or on the glass. Set the level against the edge of the lockbar for front and then on top of the glass retainer to do the top.
Once the game is level side to side, slide out the glass and verify it on the playfield. You can place it between the slingshots as this will help you get it pretty even. Any variance under 0.2 degrees on the digital unit isn't gonna make a whole lot of difference anyway. Placing your hands on the pin probably changes the pitch by that much.

Once it's perfect side to side, rotate the level and place along the wooden rail along the edge or in the shooter lane for a perfect alignment top to bottom and you can adjust the pitch. At this stage I am carefull to count how many turns I do on each of the front legs so I keep the game true (left to right).

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
DRANO said:
Easy. Left to right level can be done outside or on the glass. Set the level against the edge of the lockbar for front and then on top of the glass retainer to do the top.
Once the game is level side to side, slide out the glass and verify it on the playfield. You can place it between the slingshots as this will help you get it pretty even. any variance under 0.2 degrees on the digital unit isn't gonna make a whole difference anyway. Placing your hands on the pin probably changes the pitch by that much.

Once it's perfect side to side, rotate the level and place along the wooden rail along the edge or in the shooter lane for a perfect alignment top to bottom and you can adjust the pitch.

I used to believe that as that is what I used to see the techs at PAPA do, but now everyone I talk to at PAPA says they level on the PF.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Well, firstly... I'm not running a PAPA event, so I agree; the playfield is the way to go.
But I always verify quickly off the playfield after doing the main adjustements this way anyway. Good enough for my basement :)