• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

JM Hand Troubleshooting

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
So the hand on my JM has been acting a little funny lately, and it's an intermittent problem so it's a little tricky to track down. Basically, I'll start a game, and sometimes (invariably when more people are over), part way through the game will decide that the glove is busted, credit dot and all. Then, after the game is over, it'll run a new self test, and the dot will go away. I've stopped mid-game and seen that the dot was an encoder error, but running the test manually I can see the encoder moving. Some posts on pinside suggested making sure that the wiring was out of the way of magnet and encoders (which I checked). Now this doesn't happen every time, and I can usually power it on and play a couple of games without the glove breaking, but I'd still like to fix it. I tried running the auto test cycle on it tonight, and I noticed that the glove started vibrating a lot more than usual when moving horizontally, and it even got to the point where it wouldn't move at all on the X axis.

Anyway, my next step is to take the whole mech apart and clean it, since I gather that it can get pretty gummed up with old lubrication. All of the switches appear to be good, and I haven't noticed anything that looks like metal shavings that would suggest a nut problem (although I'd like to double check this too). Anything else that anyone has seen here that might be useful to check out?