• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Last getaway question regarding the supercharger

good_buddy83

Dec 19, 2012
Beamsville
OK,

Last question regarding the getaway. I remember playing it back in the day and the supercharger would spin the ball around anywhere from 2 to 10 times randomly when hit. The maximum number of times I get the ball to spin around now is 1-3 times. Is there an adjustment for this? It appears it is working properly. I checked in the manual and I can't see anything that let me adjust this. Also in Red line mania I thought the ball is supposed to spin like 20 times before it releases. In this case it only spins 3 times and releases. Let me know your thoughts.

good_buddy83

Dec 19, 2012
Beamsville
I am starting to think that maybe this is a software revision thing. I noticed I am l-1 revision and it looks like an early version. I am thinking upgrading to l-5 may fix the issue. Let me know your thoughts.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
The number of times the ball spins around the supercharger is based on the total amount of value built up from hitting the 1-2-3 standup targets on the left and right hand side of the PF.

Everytime you hit one of them, it adds 1 million to the supercharger with a base value of 3 million and a max value of 10 million.

Once you collect the super charger once it will not relight until you complete the 1-2-3 targets in the allotted amount of time before they time out.

good_buddy83

Dec 19, 2012
Beamsville
Thanks adam,

I've played a bunch and can't get over 3 Mil off of the supercharger. I think this is a software thing as I am currently running L-1. I rember distincly playing a machine at the Great Canadian Midway 4 years ago that allowed you to get values of up to 10 milion off of the supercharger. After reading everything it sounds like L-2 is the way to go for software, only other option is P-7 by the sounds of it and that adds a 2 ball multiball at 4th gear, which to me changes the game quite a bit.

good_buddy83

Dec 19, 2012
Beamsville
Re: Supercharger problem almost solved

No one told me this diverter is like a flipper coil!

I didn't realize there was a Hi and a Lo attached to the supercharger diverter. That is why it is not working. High kicks in just fine, but I don't think Low is working. Could be a transistor, haven't looked at it much yet. Anyway, I am sure the Low is not working properly hence the problems. Good thing I pulled the supercharger and saw this. I thought I was just plain crazy for a while. If anyone digs up this post and the ball only goes around 3 times on the supercharger this is a Lo power issue on the solenoid.

Hey Menace where were you on that one? :roll: That's why I love this hobby. No matter how smart I think I am a machine still makes me feel stupid.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora

good_buddy83 said:
Hey Menace where were you on that one? :roll: That's why I love this hobby. No matter how smart I think I am a machine still makes me feel stupid.

LOL. Nice... TBH, I've only ever had the pleasure of shopping out a Getaway once and it was many years ago. I guess if I actually looked at the manual when posting I would have noticed the flipper coil setup and had you check things like voltages at the lugs to confirm if the coil has any breaks in the windings etc.

Heck, if you haven't solved it yet that is the first thing I would do. Measure the voltage from ground to each lug of the coil in attract mode, they should all measure about the same. If not, you've got a busted winding in the coil at which point you can check the wires around the lugs and fix them or replace the coil. :)

For giggles I just looked at the manual, and there doesn't seem to be an EOS switch for this assembly but it does have a HIgh power transistor (Q82) and a Low power transistor (Q56). While you've got your DMM out, test the TIP102 @ Q56 and then test continuity from J127 pin 3 to the coil (Brown/red wire) and then from J107 pin 3 to the coil (Violet/yellow wire). If all of these things test ok and you are absolutely positive the low power is not working by manually actuating the divertor, and then activate the #10 solenoid in coit test, and if it holds it's working (you must manually actuate the divertor as the low power portion of the coil is not strong enough on it's own to move the divertor), then you need to check the pre-drive section.

Keep us posted.

D

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto

good_buddy83 said:

Oh_no_you_didn%27t.gif

Menace said:
LOL. Nice... TBH, I've only ever had the pleasure of shopping out a Getaway once and it was many years ago.

Looks like you are going to have the pleasure soon as I saw Bish's Getaway folded up in your basement last time I was over ;)

good_buddy83

Dec 19, 2012
Beamsville
Damn coil!

I pulled the entire supercharge supercharger last night. I checked the resitance on the coil lugs outside of the game. High power was at about 6 ohms. Low power - nothing!. I'm thinking great, just a case of redoing the solder on the lugs. Pulled a winding, sanded it soldered it. Nothing. Tried 3 seperate times. Looks like a busting winding deep in the coil. I'll be ordering a new one from Bay area amusements. I tried for something in Canada, but no one seems to stock this one as it is a bit unique.

It is weird there is no EOS. It looks like the cpu has a time delay to make the switch, hense only 3 loops around the track before my ball exits. I'll keep you posted once fixed.

good_buddy83

Dec 19, 2012
Beamsville
Fixed!

Bay area amusements order arrived last night. New coil in. Bam! worked like a charm. This is how I remember the game. Plenty of loops around the supercharged now. Can't wait to play more and get to red line mania. Now the supercharger will hold the ball at the start of the mode. Maybe now I actually have a chance at acheiving a Superjackpot.

Thanks everyone for the help and support on this one! I've learned a lot from this repair, namely: read the damn manual first. :FP: Rookie mistake on my behalf. Also this is the first time I have encoutered a broken coil winding barried deep in the coil. Crazy!

good_buddy83

Dec 19, 2012
Beamsville
To be honest, this game is really growing on me. I always thought of it a B-lister, but now that it is running good it is challenging and fun. Great light show, and great feel to the game. I love it.