• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Lexan PF glass. Bad idea?

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
My brother scored some 4x8 lexan sheets for $50 a sheet. He will have lots left over. I was considering using some as a replacement PF glass. Anyome tried this? Don't know if it will give me the same amount of noise reduction. I have to double check the thickness. Otherwise it could be a cheap fix.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
It will likely sag a bit, and honestly for the cost of a new sheet of tempered glass is it really worth the trouble?

D

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
It will most definitely sag. Especially if you have pets that like to jump up and sit on your machines. It'll be louder (rattle) too, especially if the thickness is off. Glass is more forgiving when you clean it as well. You can use almost anything to clean glass (Windex, vinegar, spit). Lexan not so forgiving.

There is a reason everyone still uses glass on pinball in this plastic world. It's the best, cheapest material out there.

Reactions: Rob Kerschner

BOO

Aug 9, 2013
Toronto, Canada
I would also imagine that the sound made by slamming your fist down on plastic after a ball drain would not be nearly as satisfying as it would be slamming it down on glass. Right, Adam? :-D

Reactions: Menace

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
Damn, I could have got a piece for next to nothing.
I guess I will wait until I get an Elvis as I will need it (as lexan is bulletproof if thick enough) to shoot at the tv mod and not damage the machine.........