• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Longest road trip

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
Just wondering - what lengths have people gone to for a machine you wanted?

My longest trip remains my meetup with beatmaster in Brockville to pickup my High Speed. A bit nerve-wracking, because I was making the trip based on email exchanges and a few pics. We made the exchange outside the Timmies off the highway with an OPP cruiser watching us the whole time. Not sure what the cops were thinking.

My shortest trip is for my Funhouse, which I purchased from Warlock right out of my garage.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Likely Allentown trip for Elektra and Whodunnit? along with Copy #2 of World Cup 78. Technically WC 78 is the longest run as I had to drive 2 hours north north/east to pick it after Allentown before heading back to Buffalo, then Toronto. Funny that the longest drive was for the pin I paid the least money for.

Shortest drive was technically obtaining Orbitor 1 and Flash Gordon from Brewmanager. From his basement to his garage was a short trip. If we don't count that though, Copy #1 of World Cup 78 was 10-15 minutes from Brewmanager's house. Also, the other least expensive pin I have purchased.

Nothing to write home about for either copy alone, but between the 2 of them, there will be a really nice one when they are both finished.

dubplate

Nov 18, 2012
Not to buy a machine but to play, this past Canada Day forum member Tim.Sanderson and I did a the road trip to the New Jersey Silverball museum. It was pretty awesome, $20 for an all day pass and they have over 200 machines. Plus it's on the boardwalk right beside the ocean. Apparently ti's currently closed due to the hurricane but will reopen.

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont
My longest trip thus far to pick up machines has been about 12 hours one way, St Thomas, ON to St Georges, QC, that was to get Shadow and RFM. Did 4.5 hours from Belmont to Rochester, NY for a Hyperball. I think ToM was about 3 hours one way.

I wouldn't think twice about a 4-6 hour run to pick up a machine if the price was right.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I've had games shipped to me as far away as Texas, but driving the furthest was Wisconsin. Bought my first TOTAN from MN, and had an RGP'r drag it down to his place for me, and then picked it up from him when we all went to Expo. I've also bought games from CT, MI, and NY that I've driven to get.

D

Ancient Games

Nov 15, 2012
Kawartha Lakes, ON
My longest will be to Quebec in a few weeks like Brewmanager.

My longest drive to play (among other things) was to Vegas and then California and the Pinball HOF. I had a chance to buy some good pins in Vegas but too scared to go to North Vegas :(

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I don't think I've gone more than an hour and a half for a game yet-just about everything has been within the GTA (or at least the extended GTA). Even the Whitewater I bought from Dave Astill I managed to meet halfway at the Orangeville McDonald's, so I didn't have to drive all the way to Collingwood. I had a TSPP lined up in Pittsburgh at one point, but then I managed to get one out in Whitby instead, which was much less out of the way.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
My longest road trip also involved meeting beatmaster when I bought his boss' RFM in Quebec. I left my house at around 9:30am and excellent weather the whole way there arriving at 2:00pm. Here is the beginning of the end as we had some technical difficulties as beatmaster's toolbox was locked up in the other part of the shop that he couldn't find the right sized allen keys to remove the head. After borrowing some tools from the neighbor next door the game barely fit in my Audi wagon and wasn't able to close the hatch completely. beatmaster did his best and got a big blanket to pad between the game and my rear window and bungee tied it down pretty solid. What is that famous pinball saying... “The storm is coming" so year on my 6 hour drive back it was raining and water was getting in slowly and was very nerve racking. I did the only thing I could to try and keep the water from pouring in... I pulled over to a service station and shrink wrapped the ass end of my wagon :lol:

7441000728_a26d3d893f_c.jpg

Some water was still getting in but not as much as before and as I got to around Pickering area I called my brother in-law to be ready in an hour to help me move in but he threw out his back earlier that day fishing. I said you catch a 50lb salmon??? He slipped on some rocks and twisted his body in a weird way. So it was nearing 10pm and I made a few calls while driving on the 401 and here is my knight in shining armor that came to my rescue after putting his kids to bed... brewmanager!

7441000060_ef2fba4711_c.jpg

It was worth it in the end for him as he had an epic game of Roadshow that night and got his initials up for GC which was later trumped by my friend Elliot few weeks later.

Total hour(s): 14 hours
Total km(s): ~1200