• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

WTB Looking for early to mid 70's machine in excellent conditon

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Can you please elaborate on your comment about the "inflated market"?
Why are prices high now?
Is it seasonal because there's more demand around Christmas?

Prices have skyrocketed on all pinball machines over the past 3-4 years for sure. The pinball market is it a record high. It was getting pretty crazy for a while but it kinda seems to have stabilized a bit now.

The hobby is really on an upturn with more and more people getting into it and more events popping up all over the place. It's a great time for the game of pinball.

Even though the prices are high, I wouldn't expect you to see the prices of games drop too much any time soon in my opinion. The most important thing is to try not to over pay for your first game. The easiest way to make sure you don't over pay is to keep doing exactly what you're doing. Talk to the good people here, ask questions, watch prices.

Most of the guys here are great. If you're thinking about making a purchase, I would private message a couple of the members here that you have good feelings about just to get an opinion on whether the price is right.

Most guys are fair and won't take advantage of you on this forum. Kijiji is another story. If you see anything on Kijiji and it isn't sold in less than an hour, it's probably WAY too expensive.

You're doing things right so far, so keep doing what you're doing. Most of us started by lurking here, then asking questions, then buying a game. With guidance you won't go wrong. Next thing you know you'll have a hoard of games...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: luch

in2pin

Dec 11, 2014
Georgetown, ON
Thanks for your detailed response.
Is there anywhere I can find approx price guidelines?
So most machines on Kijiji get bought without even going to look at them?:eek:

FastEd

Sep 5, 2014
Toronto
I lurked for over 2 years before finally pulling the trigger. Try to get out there and play the games to get a feel for what you really like. I "thought" that I would like certain games and ended up liking different games.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
For EM's,"non-working projects" - $50-$700 is a guideline. (depends on title)
For EM's, "working player copy to collector's copy " - $500-$1200 and up to $2000 for some rare or desired examples. (especially Gottlieb Wedgeheads) Maybe more for rare or wanted titles even.

For SS's,"non-working projects" - $100-$1200 is a guideline. (depends on title)
For SS's, "working player copy to collector's copy " - $700-$1900 and up to $3-4000 for some rare or desired examples or CQ copies clear-coated and redone cabinets.

Also, check this site for ebay sales averages.

http://www.bostonpinball.biz/ebay_1114.htm

Mr.Pinball 2014 is also a guideline resource, but prices for desired titles in Canada are low in this guide. Add 15-25% in Canada.
15% alone is for US$ difference currently. 13% tax at border for HST in Ontario to bring one home from the US as well.

Reactions: in2pin

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Well, the Wedgehead list was something that is learned over time from the veteran collectors.
Some titles include.

El Dorado, Centigrade-37, Freefall, Sky Jump, Volley, Golden Arrow, Jack's Open, Jungle King, Kingpin, Sure Shot, Abracadabra, Spin Out.
Target Alpha is the 4 player version of El Dorado for example, while Solar City is the 2 player one. (Look up NOTES: on these titles on ipdb)
Reverse Wedgeheads from the 60's include titles like Heat Wave and Melody.

www.ipdb.org is your friend from there to start learning all the rest.

Reactions: in2pin

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Oh yeah! Holy grail of EM's is Joker Poker. ($2500+ likely)
Most owner's settle for the Solid State version due to it's rarity as an EM.
The solid state is an SS machine that plays like an EM as it was designed as an EM.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Look up Dimension, Atlantis and Neptune on ipdb.org.
I do not have any of those, and no Joker Poker either....

But, if I had $6500-$7000 budget though, I would "hunt and collect" those 4 pins over a NIB (New in Box) pinball machine.

singlezero

Jul 10, 2014
Orillia ontario
You are relatively new to collecting and own that many machines! OMG!
that is under a year so relatively new yes.
So much for "i have found the best resource are those that are within an hours drive"
well there were reasons for the travel however, i have gotten 5 from one person in collingwood, another one from dave in colllingwood, 2 from novaguy/ted in fenelon falls and 3 from paul in barrie.

after seeing a ten spot in collingwood in bruces collection , i wanted one and tried several times for the one i got and finally got a response on his kijiji ad. i paid for it about a month ago knowing i had to go to that area anyways and the sureshot that came up this week was an added bonus

theres a certain familiarity and confidence from buying from those in my area. all are quite reputable in their own right.

another game you might be interested in is a surf champ or surfer.. a well liked em game.

in2pin

Dec 11, 2014
Georgetown, ON
that is under a year so relatively new yes.

well there were reasons for the travel however, i have gotten 5 from one person in collingwood, another one from dave in colllingwood, 2 from novaguy/ted in fenelon falls and 3 from paul in barrie.

after seeing a ten spot in collingwood in bruces collection , i wanted one and tried several times for the one i got and finally got a response on his kijiji ad. i paid for it about a month ago knowing i had to go to that area anyways and the sureshot that came up this week was an added bonus

theres a certain familiarity and confidence from buying from those in my area. all are quite reputable in their own right.

another game you might be interested in is a surf champ or surfer.. a well liked em game.
PM sent.

Dave