• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

WTB Looking for first pin - Kingston, Ontario

JonnyPinpockets

Aug 27, 2016
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Hey folks. I'm from Kingston Ontario , and looking forward to purchasing my first pin. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good place to start looking? I'm looking for something in the $1500-2000 range, and would genuinely appreciate any advice you folks could provide for a newbie like myself. Thanks in advance!

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
This is probably the best place to start your search. Dealing within the community is always your best bet. That said, the fact you have a budget it good, but if you have any other ideas regarding era or themes that also goes a long way to help narrow your search down.

Also, once people begin to suggest certain titles my suggestion is to try and seek out some of the recommendations and play them in person for at least 20mins if possible. What one person loves, you may absolutely loathe and the only way to determine this is to actually get out and play them.

D

dnewman

Oct 29, 2013
Newmarket
My advice is to read a lot on this site to get an idea of what specific pins should cost. There are lots of great people on here that have decades of experience, and their advice can really help to not get burned on your first pin by someone flipping a project.

The best advice I received was to not buy a project for my first pin. You want to be able to play that pin as soon as you get it home! Struggling to get something working when you are new to the hobby can be very frustrating, especially when you don't have another working pin to go blow some steam off on!

Go in person to play the pin for as many games as it takes for you to get a feel for the condition of the pin. As Doug mentioned above, a good 20 minutes isn't unreasonable.

Be patient. They made lots of these pins, so if the deal isn't right, wait for the next one. Another better one always seems to be posted for sale right after you just bought one!:D

You will undoubtedly have more questions, so fire away. This a great community, and people like to help.

JonnyPinpockets

Aug 27, 2016
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Thanks so much for the fast replies! I'm thinking that I might just save up the extra few grand for NIB Stern Ghostbusters. Something tells me that this is not a passing phase, so at least I'll have something to play while I wait for my dream machine. Thanks guys!