• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

LOTR Trilogy... best one?

McMean

Nov 14, 2012
Peterborough
Watching the trilogy again... getting very psyched for The Hobbit Part I.

Best of the Trilogy? Thoughts? I'm holding mine until I finish again.... but the mines of Moria scenes are some of the best in the Fellowship, that's for sure.

Daniel

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
something about the Two Towers always gets me. The battle of Helm's Deep is just awesomely done!

However, when the Rohirrim attack the orcs in Return of the King was awesome too...

And you're right - Moria was just freaking cool.

Maybe a mass pinball group to go see The Hobbit in Imax? I'd be in for that. (likely, since I suggested it)

Hammerhead

Nov 16, 2012
Melbourne
I'm concerned about some early stories I've heard regarding the Hobbit at 48 frames per second and some people getting nauseous watching it. Go figure, I love riding rollercoasters but get motion sickness watching home movies on TV. :roll:

BTW, loved the Balrog. Best scene of Fellowship, very well done and follows the feel of the book meticulously!

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
The first film just blew me away and set the tone for the whole trilogy. After that the others were obviously must-sees, but the first is still the ost memorable for me.
In terms of action, the second film was definitely the coolest. The return of the king dragged a bit and, at that point, you could have almost closed your eyes and just followed along until Jackson FINALLY tied a nice bow on the whole thing.
The mastery in pulling it all off and doing the material justice was simply phenomenal.

Jokercyclone

Nov 19, 2012
Thats a really tough question as I think LOTR is great beacause all the movies are great. The Fellowship has a great pass to it and with Moria and the death of Boromir and Gandalf the Grey it sets a tone for the TT. The Two Towers is my favorite for the battle of Helms Deep, I know Treebeards supposed to take for ever, but dammit gets on with it though. The ROTK is good but the battle scene may be bigger but for me just inst as cool or intense as TT. I do really like the end just to see Gollum get the ring and the sheer joy and love in his face as he plummets to his death. We watched the whole trilogy a few weeks a go, but are watching them again as Amazon had a sale recently for $33 for the extended blu-rays and in preperation for the Hobbit.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Amazing trilogy. The extended blu-rays are here. I will watch them all this week. Thanks for ordering them Brewmanager.
Drano pretty much has this one nailed. Noteworthy scenes from everyone else as well. Can't wait for the Hobbit.

hippochrome

Nov 19, 2012
Ottawa
Great question!
It really made me think of these 3 movies...and I can't pick the best one. In fact I can't even rank them in order from best to least liked. I like them all equally, and can't see any difference between them.

This made me think of all the other trilogy's I like (Nolan Batman, Original Star Wars, Original Indiana Jones). I can easily rank those...but not LOTR. They are just THAT good, and THAT solid as a total package trilogy. Good work Peter Jackson!

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
Yeah it's pretty tough to rank them.. I mean after all, it's technically just one really long movie! You kinda have to rate them as, which "chunk of events" did you prefer the most? In which case, I'd have to say the Two Towers was my favourite as it seemed the most dark.

The Hobbit.. something about this movie is striking me the wrong way. I don't know what it is, but from the previews I've seen the whole thing just seems... goofy. Maybe it's all the makeup everyone is wearing combined with how everything looks in such high definition. The sense of realism isn't there. I'll still see it of course

hippochrome

Nov 19, 2012
Ottawa
REVOLUTION said:
Maybe it's all the makeup everyone is wearing combined with how everything looks in such high definition. The sense of realism isn't there. I'll still see it of course

I'm with you on this one.

When I first saw the previews, and making of stuff, for the Hobbit my first thought was "Man, they've gone overboard on the dwarfs. They tried too hard to make them all individual looking characters".

A bunch of short bearded guys with axes would have been fine with me. Like, look at the hobbits...you really cant tell the difference between Merry and Pippen, and that was just fine!