• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Metallica - Left flipper activating grave optical switch

focusmediagroup

Jul 10, 2016
Halifax
So I have a strange one. It seems like the left flipper is randomly triggering the grave marker optical switch. I unplugged the switch and it no longer causes any issue in diagnostics. I cleaned all the optical lenses. I don't see how the wiring could be problematic but it could be feedback of some kind based on the size of the coil? Anyone know how to deal with this?

Thanks in advance!

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
It's likely due to vibration from the left flipper exposing an alignment issue with the opto setup. I had this issue on a clients Stern Spiderman where the sandman opto's were the alignment was boarderline from the factory and various vibrations on the PF would cause a break in the opto beam. I ended up having to remove the opto and slightly bend the wireform bracket it was installed on to get them lined up better. After that, no more problems.

I have also seen Stern opto connectors not tight enough on the header they are installed on and vibrations cause intermittent connection issues causing switch closures.

D

Reactions: focusmediagroup

focusmediagroup

Jul 10, 2016
Halifax
Thanks a mil, I will look at this and let you know how I make out. This makes sense because the back target was not catching so the coil kept firing trying to push it up and this likely loosened it.

focusmediagroup

Jul 10, 2016
Halifax
Hey one more question, and it may be silly, but should the optical light be on all the time (except when it loses it's sight) when in switch test mode?

I noticed the light was off almost all the time, so I think it was shaking it to make a connection.

focusmediagroup

Jul 10, 2016
Halifax
Yeah I just tried to fix it but i'm still not getting the connection right, I need to get a desolder braid to remove the old stuff first so I can get a better contact but should be all good after that. thanks!