• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

MindOrbit Lighted Shooter Rod

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I have always wanted one of these MindOrbit lighted shooter rods but they are usually sold out on pinbits.com. You can see all the different varieties they offer here as they come in different colours, speed of colour changing and comes in either pearlescent or faceted balls.

Kit%20Pic.jpg

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_p ... 6mrgfikab5

I picked my kit off Brock last weekend who had plans I believe to put it in his Ripleys when he learned that it will not work unless you do some modifications to the Stern shooter housing or else swap it for a Williams one. Here is what I got from the slim shady seller and as you can see not quite as complete as the one above but no big deal, Thanks Brock :p

8509306865_ce296cdd24_c.jpg

Pretty standard procedure by removing the lockdown bar, glass and I used the rod to prop my playfield up otherwise I would have to remove my topper mounted in front of the head which would normally install on top but due to ceiling clearance issues I had to mount it differently. If you do stand your playfield all the way up do not forget to remove the balls or else stuff a rag in the trough so the balls don't come falling out.

8510415170_e5bbcbe4fd_c.jpg

To remove a shooter rod take the rubber shooter tip off and then pull the main shooter rod spring back before you remove the e-clip or else you will send it flying into the back of your cab.

8510415040_def93e0368_c.jpg

The stock kit typically comes with a new shooter sleeve and I usually stock a few of these anyways. I think the one inside my game has seen better days as the flanged end was gone! I installed the new sleeve with the flanged end inside the cabinet.

8509306495_71eec4928b_c.jpg

Again the kit will come with a new pair of washers but since mine was missing one I just used some sand paper on my old one to ensure good electrical contact. I also sanded both ends of main shooter rod spring as well.

8509306237_1a1fbe1f8c_c.jpg

I was just being sure that my shooter housing was grounded properly via the cabinet's ground braid using my meter and all was good. The reason I checked this was because I emailed the creator of this mod, Greg Ong, and he had mentioned not to hook the rod up directly to 12V or else it will blowout the LED instantly.

8510414494_8452edfbf9_c.jpg

Time to install the shooter rod and order in which things go in is very important for the rod to work or not get blown out. Put the small spring supplied in the kit and then put the washer after it so it is going to be on the side closest to the shooter housing.

8509305939_6c46422ce9_c.jpg

Now on the inside, thread the shooter rod with the 12V wiring harness supplied so that it is closest to the shooter housing from the inside and then put the washer after it.

8510414226_657ee124d8_c.jpg

There are a few places you can pull 12V from depending on your machine but on my game there was an unused connector on the coin door interface board on the left side of the cab by the tilt bob. You might want to get down on your knees so you are eye level to ensure you are plugging the harness into the right pin outs for 12V and not something else.

8509305659_7faf4892ed_c.jpg

Then I tidied up the wiring using zip ties and routed it via the factory cable clamps behind where the coin box is to the other side of the cabinet. I made sure there was enough slack for the wire to the shooter rod so that it doesn't move around too much or too tight. It doesn't really matter where it rests because all it needs it to make contact with the metal shooter rod somewhere.

8510413948_874dd01cb8_c.jpg

8510413810_a62016b91c_c.jpg

One last thing I checked before I closed everything up was to ensure nothing metal was going to make contact with the shooter rod that could cause a potential short or worse take out something expensive like a fliptronics board. I am all good and even with the flipper button pressed in and only the plastic opto interruptor arm anyways. You might be installing this into a game where you are using the original Type 1 where there is metal on the interruptor arm or a leaf switch like on Sys11. In this case you might have to adjust your shooter rod housing to create a bigger space or insulate the leaf switch using fish paper because the 50V from the flipper will definitely kill the LED inside the shooter rod!

8510413630_1e64c99336_c.jpg

8510413526_86c6b0dbcc_c.jpg

Here is a picture of the final product and video of it in action on my game. Hope you enjoyed this and might seem like a lot but realistically this could be installed in 3 minutes but I highlighted the important parts where you need to pay closer attention to not do any damage to your game. Such a downer when you are trying to install what is suppose to be a plug and play mod and end up doing something silly like fry an MPU or DMD as a result :twisted:

8510413394_c48b99f7ab_c.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7zj3aVKnPBg[/youtube]

Thanks Brock and Greg over at MindOrbit for putting together a great kit.

-Mike

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
Dude you were missing an e-clip, a shooter sleeve and a washer.. would you like me to EMT you the $0.50? :lol: I'd say you did alright for a FREE mind-orbits shooter. ;)

Anyway it looks good.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
So hang on-does that mean that when the shooter is in that the whole thing is carrying 12v? It looks like it breaks the circuit when you pull it out, but wouldn't you get shocked off of it while it's lit up?

Still, cool idea-I was thinking something like a mini plasma ball would be great on a CV rod, but couldn't think of how to power it and still let it twist.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
The shooter works by receiving power through the rod and ground through the rebound spring to the shooter rod body which is why it goes off when the rod is pulled back. I was a bit hesitant to pull it back the first time and did the finger tap test :lol: