• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

my first machine, am I realistic...

tim.sanderson

... to think I have a chance at finding a machine from the mid-to-late 80's, (a system 11 machine, for example) for $1000 or less? Emphasis on the less part. :p
Here's what's important/not important to me:

IMPORTANT:

good playing condition.
I'm mechanically inclined, and do things like soldering on a daily basis, so I'm not afraid of doing a little work. However, I'd like a machine I can start to play almost right away. I wouldn't mind replacing parts and stuff like that.
NOT IMPORTANT:
artwork, cabinet, playfiled etc.
For my first machine, I'm mostly interested in playing the game. The play field can be very worn. As long as I can read the playfield well enough to learn the game, I'd be happy. The cabinet/backglass could even be from different games!

I'm not worried about it increasing in value over the years. My second machine will be one that's pretty. Until then, I just want a well playing machine in my basement that I can practice on!

Tim.

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont
They exist out there, but you will likely have to be two things, patient and able to drop everything you're doing and able to go immediately to pick up a machine if one pops up that meets your criteria. Putting the word out here about what you're looking for will be a big help, personally I find the collecting community to be way more helpful for finding a machine than depending on kijiji or Craigslist, etc.

Typically speaking, (and this is my cynicism showing) good deals on kijiji/CL will get snapped up by certain people and then flipped for an exorbitant markup with next to nothing done to it. Not mentioning *any* names.

You may also want to consider DataEast pins of the same vintage, they can usually be had a little cheaper and are almost identical to WMS Sys11.

Welcome to the addiction!

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
You can find the odd kijiji deals but have to be ready to drop whatever you are doing such as work to get to it before the next guy. Lately I find it is who you know in the hobby that helps makes things happen so I would suggest sending a PM to WARLOCK. He has around 25 pins mostly from the era and plans to thin the heard in the near future. Good luck on your search otherwise and if something pops up that I hear about I will let you know for sure.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
mwong168 said:
You can find the odd kijiji deals but have to be ready to drop whatever you are doing such as work to get to it before the next guy. Lately I find it is who you know in the hobby that helps makes things happen so I would suggest sending a PM to WARLOCK. He has around 25 pins mostly from the era and plans to thin the heard in the near future. Good luck on your search otherwise and if something pops up that I hear about I will let you know for sure.

+1

D

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Here is a list of games WARLOCK might potentially have for sale or still available. Do not worry about the location as that is merely where he bought them from and all the games are sitting here at his newly leased space close to his office.

1) Flash # 1 - TN - USA
2) Flash # 2 - NY - USA
3) Flash # 3 - NY - USA
4) Time Warp - Quebec
5) Time Warp - USA
6) Gorgar - Ontario
7) Jungle Lord - NY - USA
8) Canasta 86 - Ohio USA
9) Trident - Ohio - USA
10) Firepower - NY - USA
11) Alien Poker - NY - USA
12) World Cup 78 - Ontario
13) World Cup 78 - NY - USA
14) Elektra - PA - USA ( East Coast Canada)
15) Whodunnit? - PA - USA
16) Solar Fire - Quebec
17) Pharoah - Quebec
18) Orbitor 1 - Ontario
19) Flash Gordon - Ontario
20) Space Shuttle - Quebec
21) Algar - Ontario
22) High Speed - NY - USA
23) Pinbot - Ontario
24) WPT - Ontario
25) Funhouse - Ontario
26) Black Knight - Ohio - USA (I can't believe I forgot this grail before edit)

If you are interested in a restore project he has a Space Shuttle that could use some TLC and a brand new CPR repro playfield he will probably give you a nice deal. This should keep you busy over winter as I enabled him one late night in contacting DavidC when I saw he listed his complete restored one on kijiji in Montreal.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Thanks Mike and Menace for the shout out and + 1. Tim, I will be in touch soon.
Trying to decide what I am keeping is tough. I will watch for a PM from you. Thanks all.

tim.sanderson

Nice! I dropped you one earlier, Warlock.
Thanks for the consideration! Don't feel the need to rush a decision to sell or not. Even though I'd prefer have my own machine sometime in the next few seconds, I can wait for the right machine to fall into my lap. :D

Thanks guys.

Tim

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
mwong168 said:
If you are interested in a restore project he has a Space Shuttle that could use some TLC and a brand new CPR repro playfield he will probably give you a nice deal. This should keep you busy over winter as I enabled him one late night in contacting DavidC when I saw he listed his complete restored one on kijiji in Montreal.

Space Shuttle would be a fun project!
The two physical ball locks are great and challenging to hit. Makes for a cool multiball and the sounds and theme are great (for the era).

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont
I bought my Space Shuttle as a non-working project having never played one before. Totally love it.

Funny enough, I've bought a *lot* of my machines having never played one before and mostly they've been dead or semi-working when I've bought them. lol