• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

New Pinball Revolution Member needs advice

Simulacrum_99

Jan 22, 2017
Waterloo, Ontario Canada
Hello everyone, I just joined today and am looking to purchase 1 pinball machine for my wife and I to play. She is more of the pinball player than me but I do fondly remember playing the late 80's and early 90's pinball games at the Zappers arcades in Kitchener Waterloo. Any opinions or advice is greatly appreciated and if anyone have some pinball games for sale please let me know what you have available. Is it realistic to buy a machine for under 2000 and what type of machine should I focus my search on? I do like the idea of ramps and multi ball options for sure. Thanks in advance for your help!

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
First and foremost, welcome to the hobby. Now sit down....'cause it's all bad news from here! LOL

I can tell you chances are you won't find a pin from the 90's upward for 2K. I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment on 80's pins. But there are PLENTY of experts here who will comment in due course I'm sure.

Pinball pricing is complete madness these days.

Reactions: WARLOCK

Simulacrum_99

Jan 22, 2017
Waterloo, Ontario Canada
Ouch that is what I was afraid of.. and thank you for the nice welcome!
First and foremost, welcome to the hobby. Now sit down....'cause it's all bad news from here! LOL

I can tell you chances are you won't find a pin from the 90's upward for 2K. I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment on 80's pins. But there are PLENTY of experts here who will comment in due course I'm sure.

Pinball pricing is complete madness these days.

Paul Renaud

Jun 3, 2016
OTTAWA
Welcome t0 the Revolution!

I can tell you there are lots of opinions on here, but also lots of great members that will help you out when asked.

As for a pin under 2K... just be patient and it will happen. In the last 18 months since I first got "the bug" I have purchased 5 machines and only 1 of them was over 2K.
I don't have anything newer than solid state machines though.
DMD's are certainly going to cost you more than that, and if they are priced lower than 2K, you don't want it!!

Keep watching the forums here. I got a great F-14 Tomcat on here from a member and at a price we were both happy with.

Enjoy the search....but be warned, we all started saying we "only want 1 machine"
;-)

Paul

Monkeybug

Nov 14, 2012
Stouffville, ON
I would say 2k is roughly the cost for a pre-1985 solid state these days (unless some deal pops up).

Check out the local pinball leagues (TCPL) and get out and play and meet others. This will give you a better understanding of what is out there and what you like.

Monkeybug

Nov 14, 2012
Stouffville, ON
Also, if its your first machine, do not buy a project. Buy something fully working from a reputable person (which you can figure out from league nights and talking to other enthusiasts). Buying a project as a first pin is a lesson in frustration. Leave that for your second pin. Has anyone told you yet that you can't just own one?

Reactions: WARLOCK and dnewman

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
That is what I was hoping for Paul is one within budget so happy to hear you have had good success buying some games and yes truly looking at one pinball only and want to make sure I choose wisely :)

The beauty of the hobby is that you don't really need to choose THAT wisely.
As long as you don't buy a complete dog, there is almost always a buyer out there for every machine. So, if/when you get tired of the first game, just sell or trade it and get something else. It's one of the few (maybe only) hobby where you can usually get all of your investment back... and often even make a little when you go to sell.

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
I would suggest a show or 2 to play a bunch of machines.
That way you can get a feel for what you like and don't like.
Do a bit of research. Some pins have ramps you just can't get replacements for.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
DE is fine, that's actually who Stern is now! The more mainstream you stay the easier it will be to keep the game running long-term. The only games I would suggest you avoid would be System 80.

D

Reactions: WARLOCK and dnewman

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
As far as what era / titles to look at, it's a completely subjective topic and ultimately boils down to whatever you and your wife enjoy in terms of game play. Most woodrails are not known for their game play, but more for their artwork etc.

If you can nail down what it is about a particular game that you guys like (regardless of era), you can then start to look for those features in other games to give yourself choices.

D

dnewman

Oct 29, 2013
Newmarket
My advice would be echoing the sentiments of others here...

Go out to a league night to try out different games, and see what you actually like.
Buy a working machine for your first pin - you can tackle a project later.
Pins are not cheap right now, but if you take care of it and it's a good title, it'll likely appreciate in value when you sell it.
Don't get "Buck Fever" when you go to buy one - if you go see it and the deal doesn't feel right, pass on it. Another will come along.

Post your questions here, as there are a lot of incredibly knowledgeable people on this forum, who are always willing to help out.

You're getting into a great hobby!

... "looking at one pinball only..." Awww... that's sweet!

Paul Renaud

Jun 3, 2016
OTTAWA

I am in Ottawa and would go take a look at any game for you here if you want. I can take a look and send you some pics of the things you want to see before you buy. ( Boards, inside cabinet, inside the head, etc. )

Paul