• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Next ColorDMD release is...

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
MTS_adybatch-1339342-elvira-0003.jpg

ColorDMD Announces Sixth Title

ColorDMD Displays LLC, a manufacturer of color replacement displays for pinball machines, is excited to announce Scared Stiff as the next title for the ColorDMD platform. This marks the sixth multicolor product since the company's first product release in April 2012. A video demonstration is now available on the company's website.

The ROM for Scared Stiff will be available for download from the company's support page and store site. New displays for use with the Scared Stiff ROM will be available for purchase both through our store as well as through our distributors. Links to our product distributors are available on the home page of our website.

The same ColorDMD platform supports all six released multicolor ROMs (for Attack From Mars, Medieval Madness, Addams, Star Trek The Next Generation, White Water, and Scared Stiff) as well as the new advanced single-color SIGMA ROM that supports most WPC and WPC95 game installations.

If you haven't done so, please take a moment to update your mailing list settings to reflect your future interest in ordering our products. This information helps us to plan our production run and build allocations, allowing us to serve you better!

Thank you for your continued interest and support!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZHT5fanPpHc[/youtube]

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Awesome! Finally a game I don't own... woohoo!
That's an extra $400 in my pocket :D

Waiting patiently for IJ and TOTAN

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
ColorDMD can also be used in single color for many games to achieve the following effects:

SIGMA_Comparison.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fheXXC5yAHI&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Beafraid said:
Crap. There goes 450$.

Try $480 after shipping to Canada and border taxes :( Anyways, awesome upgrade and love the ColorDMD in my STTNG.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
These look really great but the price is a bit much, unless you already need a new DMD.

I wonder if the old school purist will complain about these, like they do with led's. It's totally not original looking, but hey, they do look flashy.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Looks like you can use the same display in multiple games now by swapping out the ROMs, so really, if you buy one, you can move it around if you just want to try things out. Of course, once it's in there, are you really going to remove it? Still, means you can keep the display if you sell the game.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Chris Bardon said:
Looks like you can use the same display in multiple games now by swapping out the ROMs, so really, if you buy one, you can move it around if you just want to try things out. Of course, once it's in there, are you really going to remove it? Still, means you can keep the display if you sell the game.

This is only true for their new SIGMA display that Mike shows above. It'll allow you to install in any game, select any colour and then select between the three display options.

The dedicated (true) colourDMD products are game specific. They have software written for each title and can only be used in those games.
You're right, they do now ship with SIGMA, and you can put them on another game, but this would turn a dedicated multi-colour DMD into a single colour Sigma.

Just wanted to clarify in case anyone misunderstood.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Further clarification from the FAQ: http://www.colordmd.com/FAQ.html

How can I unlock a display purchased before May 2013?

Displays purchased prior to May 2013 were locked using a game-specific unique 16-bit product key. This key has been replaced with a non game-specific unique 32-bit product key that allows customers to reconfigure displays using the supported library of SIGMA and multicolor ROM files. To use these files, you must first obtain a new 32-bit product key by sending an email with a photo of the display's COLORDMD INFO screen to
sigma-key@colordmd.com.

After processing your key request, we will send a response with your new key. Download and install a new firmware file, and return to the COLORDMD INFO screen. The bottom of the screen will show 'KEY INVALID' followed by 8 blank spaces. To enter the new key, use the second button to select the digit and the third button to enter it. Repeat this for all 8 digits until the 'KEY INVALID' text is replaced with 'PRODUCT KEY'. Then advance to the SAVE AND EXIT screen to store the new key.

Was your WH20 ColorDMD you bought last month locked Adriano or still sitting in the box in a pile at your work? :lol:

tom_454

Nov 28, 2012
Ottawa
spiroagnew said:
To clarify, they are now making generic ColorDMDs now, letting the end user choose which software ROMs to load? Correct?

Correct. When you recieve your new ColorDMD display it no longer has anything but the Sigma firmware installed. You just download the firmware for whatever game you have and follow the update instructions. Real simple. I know because I just received my ColorDMD display last week (I used it for STTNG). They no longer send them out pre-configured for any specific game.

I don't know about how this works if you have one of their older displays.

Those new ColorDMD displays are sweet but ouch - it's a lot of ponies (over $500 with customs, postage and the exchange). I now suck at STTNG because I spend all my time looking at the display (hopefully, the novelty will wear off :D ). Jury is still out as to whether it is $500 cool - ok maybe it is now that you can move it to your favourite game as more and more games become available.

By the way, installation is a breeze - 15/20 mins.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
tom_454 said:

Any issues with yours after you installed it tom? Notice the flippers got weaker or cannons moved slower? I updated my thread with pics and explanation on how I wired it up to its own dedicated power source instead of piggy backing off J116 on the power driver board.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=921

tom_454

Nov 28, 2012
Ottawa
mwong168 said:
tom_454 said:

Any issues with yours after you installed it tom? Notice the flippers got weaker or cannons moved slower? I updated my thread with pics and explanation on how I wired it up to its own dedicated power source instead of piggy backing off J116 on the power driver board.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=921

No, I didn't notice any issues at all. It appears to play great. However, I have had a new RottenDog Power Driver Board in my STTNG for a few years now. I never bothered putting my old PDB back once I got it repaired.

I noticed your updated "How to" on the alternate power hookup. Sweet.

The only annoying issue I have with STTNG is the dim lighting (not caused by the ColorDMD). I want to convert the playfield and backbox to partial LEDs but it is the only pin I have that really suffers from the LED flicker - badly. I read about the non-ghosting Roms for STTNG but I haven't looked into that yet. I couldn't believe how much flicker was in the backbox using CoinTaker Premium LEDs - I had to remove them. Anyway I'll start another thread about that soon.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Just a heads up, if you're swapping the GI with LEDs the non-ghisting Roms will not help you as they only fix ghosting on inserts.

D

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Scared Stiff is now available to purchase from ColorDMD directly or through one of their resellers like Bay Area Amusements.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=F_j0dnSwhxY[/youtube]